BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games that retail for around $40-$60 - Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Hibbard

Middletown
Ohio
msg tools
Hello all. I'm looking to buy a couple games from a local game store...haven't done it in a while. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but I'm looking for suggestions on some games in this price range ($60 tops) that may be good for worker placement, route/network building, and have some decent player interaction. The suggestions need not have all of these in one, but a combination would be nice. I've played some good worker placement games recently (Carson City, Manhattan Project) and would like to get my hands on another. Things I'm considering are:

Viticulture
Bora Bora
Tzolk'in

Would any of these be available at a local game store? Any other suggestions.

Really not sure what to consider on the route/network building side. Really only played TTR, Brass, Eurorails, and Transamerica. Wouldn't be opposed to another rail game.

Last requirement is the max time of the game is 90 minutes...would really like to keep it around an hour.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to mention The Manhattan Project but I see you have played it already.

I've just ordered Viticulture and Tuscany: Expand the World of Viticulture, the expansion brings it to a hole new level but, that raises the total in the $100 range.

I don't know much about the other games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Tzolk'in many times, and it's probably my favorite worker placement game. It is still available in the retail game stores I frequent.

I've played Viticulture once; it's a fine game and I'd play it again, but I don't think I'd ever enjoyed it as much as Tzolk'in.

I haven't played Bora Bora. It got played a once or twice in our game group, and that's about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Train like game, Airlines Europe, one of the best games I own, a reprint of Union Pacific updated.

Bora Bora as much as I like Feld's, no.
If you are looking for a Feld's for two The Castles of Burgundy.

Worker placement Lords of Waterdeep, nice expansion for it too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora is a very strange, limited worker placement. Theres multiple avenues to victory, but I felt a lot of the scoring felt almost arbitrary and some of the mechanics felt excessive. That said, it is a good game and a lot of people enjoy it. I personally however much prefer Tzolkin. The playtime is right around 90 minutes, and the placement and movement of workers and such felt very satisfying, planning for big turns.

To the person who said Burgundy, thats not a WP game.

For route building, I think Power Grid is excellent, but itll take 2 hours. It is excellent with high interaction (but not meanness!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzolk'in and Bora Bora are two of my absolute favorite games! I'd recommend Tzolk'in just because it feels so unique with the gears. Get them both!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.