Subject: Anybody DISLIKE or NOT CARE for this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In looking through nearly every posting on this game (sorry if I missed it), nearly everybody loves this game. I was going to post this before I saw a similar thread for Twilight Struggle--but figured its a very different game (and I had read dissenting voices on Twilight Struggle) but none here.

Be interested to hear if you or anybody you played with didn't like it and why.

Thanks! I'll take your answer off the air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Whitfield
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to say but I enjoy this game either online on BSW or with the wife and kids. The kids may miss all the strategy but definately understand how to play and enjoy it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I both played this once (two-player, against each other) on BSW and found it dull dull dull.

The other day I commented that it had won a Golden Geek award, and her reply was, "Blech!"

The "why"? Could be because we only played it once. But it seemed entirely soulless, with nothing interesting going on. No tension, very little competition.

Edit: One --> won. Bah. shake I think too phonetically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm always looking for games that I (as a more serious gamer) can enjoy while playing with my wife and grown children, who are far more casual about gaming.

This looked like a likely candidate, so I picked it up and got them to try it a few times. Sadly, none of them cared for it and I doubt that they'll play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up time's not as bad as "Don't Break the Ice" as far as set up time to game time, though, is it? That one is hardly worth it for me with the kids regardless of how much I don't care for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rootbeer wrote:
The other day I commented that it had one a Golden Geek award, and her reply was, "Blech!"

What? It was nominated for a few, but it won none.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldestManOnMySpace wrote:
rootbeer wrote:
The other day I commented that it had one a Golden Geek award, and her reply was, "Blech!"

What? It was nominated for a few, but it won none.

Oops! (As I wrote that, I wondered if it had actually won a Golden Geek, or if I was mis-remembering that.)

Maybe it was some other award. Or maybe I was just talking about all the praise it's been getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boy, I dunno, how about playing this ftf? I prefer 3-player myself. Everyone I've introduced this to has been enchanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Tuxbury
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
badge
SHAZAM!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was okay, but it didn't bowl me over. I traded it with Hacienda for a copy of Simply Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Faris
United States
Edgewood
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the soulless opinion. After you get over the "wow" factor of a changing board, this game fizzles quickly. I am trying to trade it ASAP! My worst game buy of my life, so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C.K. Au
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one of the most cutthroat game ever.... when your penguin gets cut-off from the main floes!

But I find 4p too chaotic... 3p is good, 2p is better!

An excellent quick filler while waiting for the rest to come for the main game.

A sidenote, we run boardgames for children and this is one particular game we are always a little careful when introducing to new kids. we've experienced some kids crying when their little penguins got cut off! hehe.. so proceed with care.

www.boardgamekids.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems a bit mean for a kids game. Doesn't really grab me, but then I'm not really a fan of abstract games unless they have some sort of interesting mechanic, or at the very least really nice bits. This has neither. Mercifully it's short, so I don't mind it now and again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
The game left me a bit 'eh'. It's not an easy game to play well as you must plan quite a lot of moves ahead to prevent yourself from becoming stuck. But somehow, I couldn't bring myself to do so. Perhaps it has to do with the presentation of the material, I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jojo Conwell
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The best way to find criticism on a game is to look at the "personal comments" left by BGG members on a game. The 'personal comments' link is under the Statistics section of each games' BGG page.

But since the list is sorted by game rating highest to lowest you only see the best comments on the first page, you have to skip to the last few pages of comments to find the people who commented and gave it a low rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is harsh towards kids? Does it seem like kids are more sheltered these days, b/c I remember how brutal losing many matches of chess were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kids crying at games like this. Personally I think a game like this teaches kids a valuable lesson - it's a big bad world out there!

Anyhow, one can teach kids how to play this game without necessarily being the competitive cutthroat parent in the process, which incidentally, is another valuable lesson!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the personal comments, a handful of people rated the game 5 or less b/c it takes waaaay too long to set up. More time to set up than play. Others, of which my comment as well say it's a shame this game caps out a 4p. There is an 8p variant that you can play, but that involves buying 2 copies and doing a bit of work to mark tiles. Others in my group have stated that a filler game should NOT take that long to set up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's a reasonable complaint. Having said that, I don't think this is such a big issue with the deluxe version, which has fish printed on both sides of the tiles. I wouldn't normally have bought the deluxe version but there didn't seem to be any places stocking the normal version. In hindsight it might end up being money well spent if it shortens setup time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife doesn't like this game. The cover makes it look light and fluffy, but underneath the hood it's a lean, mean, strategy machine. It's an abstract strategy game with almost no luck element at all - whether you like it or not will depend on that. If the skill of the players isn't balanced, the better player will virtually always win, which will turn off the player who's not as good. I really like this game, but there's plenty of reasons not to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm okay with the game; I play it on Yucata.de, but only because it's there. To me, it seems like placement and the first 1, 2, max 3 moves essentially determine the rest of the game. I find myself spending 15 minutes figuring out my first moves, and the rest of the game just playing it out. I'm not saying I win all the time though; even if my original plan is bad, I'm still just moving tokens after the first few moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.