Hide
7 Posts

The Great War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of questions on combat cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jez
msg tools
If the 'Direct from HQ' command card if played (pay 1 HQ token to order each unit) and the opponent responds with 'Lost Messenger' (the number of units ordered this turn is reduced to 1)

This combat card says to play in reaction to opponents command card. Would this be before the HQ tokens or after are paid? Does this result in the first player losing all their HQ tokens?

Also if the 'Strike First' command card is played (Play before close combat to battle first) can this be followed by the 'Battle Fury' combat card (Play after successful close combat to gain ground and make second close combat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just generalising from other C&C games, and particularly Samurai Battles, these are my hunches

Yizume wrote:
If the 'Direct from HQ' command card if played (pay 1 HQ token to order each unit) and the opponent responds with 'Lost Messenger' (the number of units ordered this turn is reduced to 1)

This combat card says to play in reaction to opponents command card. Would this be before the HQ tokens or after are paid? Does this result in the first player losing all their HQ tokens?

My view is that the sequence runs
1. Command card is played
2. Response card is played after Command Card
3. Units are ordered (and HQ tokens paid)

effect is payment is made after Command is reduced.

Yizume wrote:
Also if the 'Strike First' command card is played (Play before close combat to battle first) can this be followed by the 'Battle Fury' combat card (Play after successful close combat to gain ground and make second close combat)

Usually only ordered units can gain ground. First Strike doesn't normally allow gain ground, and is not a normal close combat, it is rather a battle back combat, but made preemptively. Ergo Battle Fury is not eligible to be used unless it can be used for all Battle Back combats, which would be counter to normal C&C rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just adding my voice to Mark's - while this is a new game, it is part of a well established system, and I would expect both situations to play as Mark described.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez
msg tools
Thanks for the responses. All makes sense, seemed a bit to strong otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jez
msg tools
Now having read the rules a bit more carefully I have found that it does actually state explicitly that you cannot gain ground when using Strike First.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Borg
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Lost Messenger
Phase of Play - Play in reaction to your opponents command card
On page 27 of the rules - "The combat card is played just after your opponent is playing a command card - Phase 1 of opponent's turn, Play a Command Card."

The Lost Messenger card is therefore played before any units are ordered or HQ tokens placed.

Strike First
On page 16 of the rules - A unit playing a strike first command card is not eligible to gain ground.

Enjoy!
Richard Borg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my game, and read the rules. I'd like to mention that these rules are improved on all prior C&C rules in that they are very specific about the timing and effects of both decks of all the individual cards. This is wise preemptive rules writing, since most questions which arise are in fact on this topic. Congratulations, Richard! Job well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.