Popular Tags: [View All]
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game appears to be a variant of the Lakeside game Duell.
Can anyone verify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wiebe
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just looked up the page for Lakeside's Duell, and based on the description there it does seem to be essentially the same game.

Like Duell, Cubulus has dice pieces that move exactly as far as the number currently facing up. When dice are moved, they "roll" (i.e. pivot on their edge in the direction you are moving), so in all likelihood a new number will be facing upwards at the end of the move.

Cubulus has a "Master Pawn" which seems to be the equivalent of the "key piece" from Duell, i.e. if yours is captured, you lose.

One thing in Cubulus which I'm not sure Duell has is the Blocker piece (the rectangular one; each player gets two). The rules from the edition I saw had two options for how to play Blockers.

In the "basic" game, they remain flat on the board. If you move a Blocker (which covers two spaces), one space must remain covered and you may cover one new space. So you could, for example, slide the Blocker one space, or rotate it like a clock hand. Blockers are only captured if both spaces it covers are threatened by different opposing pieces, and then one moves in to make the kill. They make no captures themselves, only run interference.

In the "advanced" rules, Blockers do all the above and may also be converted to attacking pieces by standing them upright. (I forget exactly what they are called then, but let's say "Soldiers".) Soliders move diagonally (I believe one space at a time) and may capture. But of course they are themselves easier to capture when they cover only one space. And, naturally enough, they may be converted back into Blockers if there are two free spaces beside them. (They "fall over" so the original space is now open.)

Phew! Does that help? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die-Check -- Published 1987. First published in 1972 as Cubulus. Played on a 9 x 9 grid, and each player has two Shields (referred to in this thread as "Blockers").

Duell -- Published 1975 and after, by 11 companies. Played on an 8 x 9 grid, and has no "blockers."

So, Cubulus/Die-Check came before Duell; and various transfers of rights are not stated.

Compare with Dominance, on a 9 x 9 grid. Published 1980.

Also, Cublino, on a 7 x 7 grid. Published 2006.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.