Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had my first game last night and although we regularly referred back to the rulebook I couldn't seem to clarify this issue that arose at one point. During an assault one of my attacks destroyed the defender, but ultimately failed (it was a draw 1-1, we both lost one unit). This left the opposing locale vacant. I cannot move the assaulting pieces into this locale because they were defeated, but can I MA with other units (units in reserve in the attacking locale for example) into this now empty opposing locale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: After an assault defender destroyed, can I MA into local
No, because all movement happens before any assaults can take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: After an assault defender destroyed, can I MA into locale?
From section 11, Assaults, in the rulebook (page 7 near the bottom of the middle column):

"If a locale is taken by an assault, no other friendly pieces may move into that locale that turn other than those that participate in that assault."

So if your assaulting units are eliminated, none of your units may enter the locale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:

You've got that backward; it's assaults, then movement.

Amnese, in the case where you lost the assault, but emptied the locale in the process, you can't move anyone else across the approach where the assault took place, but you can enter the locale through other approaches; see the paragraph after the one Sphere quoted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Wofford
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty is correct. An assault closes the approach crossed for the remainder of the player's turn. However, units may move in via other approaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
I had my first game last night and although we regularly referred back to the rulebook I couldn't seem to clarify this issue that arose at one point. During an assault one of my attacks destroyed the defender, but ultimately failed (it was a draw 1-1, we both lost one unit). This left the opposing locale vacant. I cannot move the assaulting pieces into this locale because they were defeated, but can I MA with other units (units in reserve in the attacking locale for example) into this now empty opposing locale?

First, if the locale is now vacant, you can't maneuver attack into it at all, since maneuver attacks can be made only against enemy occupied locales. I'm not sure this is what you meant to say, however; you might have meant to say only that the assaulted approach was vacant and that the locale does contain enemy units in other parts of the locale.

If you really did mean to say that the locale is vacant, then (as was stated above) you can't make maneuver attacks into it because you can only make maneuver attacks into enemy-occupied locales. You can, however, move into the locale provided that you do so through approaches other than the one you assaulted (you can't move across an approach if you assaulted across it earlier that same turn).

If you meant to say only that the approach is vacant (but the locale does in fact contain enemy units elsewhere in the locale), then you can maneuver attack into it through approaches other than the one you assaulted (you can't move across an approach if you assaulted across it earlier that same turn, and a maneuver attack is a form of movement).

Windopaene wrote:

This is backwards; assaults occur before movement, not the other way around.

Sphere wrote:
From section 11, Assaults, in the rulebook (page 7 near the bottom of the middle column):

"If a locale is taken by an assault, no other friendly pieces may move into that locale that turn other than those that participate in that assault."

So if your assaulting units are eliminated, none of your units may enter the locale.

This is the right answer to the wrong question. In the question, the attacker lost the assault, so the cited rule doesn't apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops. Said that backwards. Plus, I was going to add the "must be enemy occupied", but felt tht was unneccessarily overredundant. Or something like that. Apologies for goofing that up. At least I got the answer right!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we certainly made a mess of that, didn't we, Ollie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, sorry, didn't actually mean 'MA', rather 'move' into the locale. That has cleared things up, thank you everyone. We played by this rule correctly as we figured that it was in the 'spirit' of the game for a defeated attack to remain where it is, and unfair for other pieces to follow up. Thus when I destroyed all forces in the enemy locale, but was actually 'defeated' in battle, I remained where I was, and decided not to follow through with my reserves. Thank you all, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:

If the attacker loses, can he then move a piece that started in the reserve into the same approach from which he assaulted? He's not trying to move across the approach, just into it to block.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
If the attacker loses, can he then move a piece that started in the reserve into the same approach from which he assaulted? He's not trying to move across the approach, just into it to block.

Yes he can. He simply cannot cross the approach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Poulos
United States
Oak Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
I guess there's more to starting a game company than just having a name... :(
badge
What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, a gaming machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this gamer does is sleep and eat and place little meeples, and that's all.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Sphere wrote:

yes, the unit is reinforcing the assault in the approach so they'd be able to do so at the normal 1 point cost. if the attacker loses it's last piece in the assault you could move a unit from the reserve to the approach. if both the attacker and defender lose their last units in the approach but the defender still has units in the locale you can move a unit into the approach but can't do a maneuver attack across it. if both the attacker and defender lose their last units in the approach during the assualt and there are no more defenders in the locale then you can move into that locale, but only from an approach that is different from the one involved in the assault (too many bodies to march over i guess).

i think that covers the different options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.