Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Marvel Heroes» Forums » General

Subject: Should I Save My X-Mas money? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not to ask if this game is worthwhile. As a disenchanted ex-mid to hardcore Heroclix player and having played a demo at GenCon, I know I will get this game as I think this is easily the best Super Heroes related game ever made. I have a love/hate relation with FFG and I think how off they are between the announced release date (Aug 2006) to the actual release date in this particular game borderline disrespectful.

In any event, this thread is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek. Christmas is coming, do you guys think this game will be in the FLG stores in time to make it under the tree or should I plan to get something else? There are always x-mas and birthday every year.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
While I cannot speak for FLGS in Brazil, I saw this game at Comic Warehouse in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. So it is out... meeple

Good luck in trying to locate it at a store near you!!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG made you wait 4 extra months. How about doing the same to them and putting off your purchase until April?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lutes
United States
Woodstock
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
Official word from the FFG boards is that it hits retail shelves tomorrow (December 4th). I have it pre-ordered from Thought Hammer and their customer service estimates that I'll have it in hand for the game day I'm hosting next Saturday. But we'll see...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my local FLGS, it should be on shelves by Wednesday. Their distributor was due to receive it already, but hadn't, as of last Thursday.

Here's hoping...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ava Jarvis
United States
Bainbridge Island
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG's "Upcoming" page is usually up to date. I've found that you can trust the green "Shipping now" dates, while most of the other states are more useful as status indicators than hard dates.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason Lutes wrote:
Official word from the FFG boards is that it hits retail shelves tomorrow (December 4th). I have it pre-ordered from Thought Hammer and their customer service estimates that I'll have it in hand for the game day I'm hosting next Saturday. But we'll see...


Just wanted to point out that Thought Hammer now says 'out of stock'. I'm hoping my pre-order still made it through.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oshio wrote:
Just wanted to point out that Thought Hammer now says 'out of stock'. I'm hoping my pre-order still made it through.


Same thing for me... I'm hoping my pre-order got in on Thought Hammer. I'm skeptical though since in my order, it says "not available".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lutes
United States
Woodstock
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
Oshio wrote:
Jason Lutes wrote:
Official word from the FFG boards is that it hits retail shelves tomorrow (December 4th). I have it pre-ordered from Thought Hammer and their customer service estimates that I'll have it in hand for the game day I'm hosting next Saturday. But we'll see...


Just wanted to point out that Thought Hammer now says 'out of stock'. I'm hoping my pre-order still made it through.


Yikes! *crosses fingers*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked again (yes, I am obsessing), and it isn't showing as back-ordered anymore. It's showing up as a pre-order.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother J
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been corresponding with Thoughthammer customer service today about a different matter and they mentioned that they will not receive Marvel Heroes until tomorrow (Dec 5) and orders will be going out after that.

So don't panic yet. cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jearles wrote:
While I cannot speak for FLGS in Brazil, I saw this game at Comic Warehouse in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. So it is out... meeple

Good luck in trying to locate it at a store near you!!


I live in the US! Won't change my flag though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
FFG made you wait 4 extra months. How about doing the same to them and putting off your purchase until April?


Brilliant, this will teach them!laugh

1/2 seriously, we should all do some sort of mass rebellion against this one of these days and maybe we will get some more respect in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Ultimately... they don't care. They're catering to a niche market so they can get away with abusing us without really affecting their cash flow. If they ever want to get seriously involved with the 'real world' and make REAL money though, they're going to have to get their act together. While their customer base may not be aware of any deadlines, their vendors will CERTAINLY care and know and you can BET that a gaming company like FFG is not going to win such a battle with a behemoth such as Wal-Mart.


This is pure baloney. In the "real" world, no one cares what the release date is. I know you already said their customer base isn't aware of the deadlines, but it bears repeating. That's all that matters. Outside of the incredibly self-absorbed and thin-skinned world of Internet gamers, no one knows/cares/would even think to complain about a missed "release" date. The average Joe sees a product on the shelf when it gets there, and that's when he buys it. That's the "real" world.

Now, why did I put "release" date in quotes? Because this announced release date means absolutely nothing to big chain stores like Wal-Mart, and there would be no battle to fight with them. Other genre items (movies, videogames, etc.) have tentative release dates all of the time, and it doesn't matter one lick whether they're met or not. The key is distributors like FFG don't take orders from retailers until the product is ready.

It's really disheartening that anyone would consider a missed projected release date as "abuse" of gamers. The sense of self-entitlement around here is stifling. shake
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's a sense of disappointment that's venting out against factors beyond our control. We don't run any of these companies and we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. I shouldn't let these rants upset you. They'll all die away again as soon as the product is out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
Trump wrote:
Ultimately... they don't care. They're catering to a niche market so they can get away with abusing us without really affecting their cash flow. If they ever want to get seriously involved with the 'real world' and make REAL money though, they're going to have to get their act together. While their customer base may not be aware of any deadlines, their vendors will CERTAINLY care and know and you can BET that a gaming company like FFG is not going to win such a battle with a behemoth such as Wal-Mart.


It's really disheartening that anyone would consider a missed projected release date as "abuse" of gamers. The sense of self-entitlement around here is stifling. shake


Missing by 4 months is a little bit too much. It just makes them a very good butt for jokes and it is well deserved. As of today 1 of FFG games is my very favorite one. But this doesn't prevent me from being able to see that in some specific situations their quality is certainly lacking and I am very sorry to break your heart by bringing this up.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lutes
United States
Woodstock
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mb
brotherj wrote:
I have been corresponding with Thoughthammer customer service today about a different matter and they mentioned that they will not receive Marvel Heroes until tomorrow (Dec 5) and orders will be going out after that.

So don't panic yet. cool

Crud, it didn't ship today, either. Looks like I won't have it in time for game day, but at least we've got plenty else to play... :/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tolin
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
DavidT wrote:
Trump wrote:
Ultimately... they don't care. They're catering to a niche market so they can get away with abusing us without really affecting their cash flow. If they ever want to get seriously involved with the 'real world' and make REAL money though, they're going to have to get their act together. While their customer base may not be aware of any deadlines, their vendors will CERTAINLY care and know and you can BET that a gaming company like FFG is not going to win such a battle with a behemoth such as Wal-Mart.


It's really disheartening that anyone would consider a missed projected release date as "abuse" of gamers. The sense of self-entitlement around here is stifling. shake


Missing by 4 months is a little bit too much. It just makes them a very good butt for jokes and it is well deserved. As of today 1 of FFG games is my very favorite one. But this doesn't prevent me from being able to see that in some specific situations their quality is certainly lacking and I am very sorry to break your heart by bringing this up.


It doesn't break my heart. I just think it's incredible that anyone thinks FFG owes him/her a solid date. Projected release dates are rarely reliable in entertainment venues (just look at videogames... sometimes delayed for multiple years), and I don't see why FFG should be held to such a strict standard.

I can see how FFG can be the butt of jokes because of this, but statements like "their quality is certainly lacking" or "they think they can get away with abusing us" are just silly. Cry me a river, already.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidT wrote:
It doesn't break my heart. I just think it's incredible that anyone thinks FFG owes him/her a solid date. Projected release dates are rarely reliable in entertainment venues (just look at videogames... sometimes delayed for multiple years), and I don't see why FFG should be held to such a strict standard.

I can see how FFG can be the butt of jokes because of this, but statements like "their quality is certainly lacking" or "they think they can get away with abusing us" are just silly. Cry me a river, already.


Actually, my limited experience with release dates is different from yours. Most of the companies have release their products within days of the projected date. I knew this game was going to be very delayed b/c of the internet and b/c at GenCon FFG told me the game would be out late September to October. I just decided to bring this up b/c I recently got ahold of their 2006 catalog and it said "Available August 2006" and I thought it was just too funny. I still don't think it is a sign of good quality to project a game for August and only have it out in December. I think it is very silly to defend mediocrity with mediocrity (we shouldn't care to keep up with our dates b/c nobody else does - what is not even true). I will tell you what - peace out. I got the game the first day it was out and I am just waiting to get a couple of plays under my belt to give it a 9 or 10. I will keep buying FFG games (I really enjoy Drakon), but I hope they get more accurate dates in the future. So, if next game comes out with just a 3-month delay, it will be a step in the right direction! laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.