Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Sac Noir, and I have to say: The pieces are top notch and does look like fun, but the rules do not seem to be "all there", if you know what I mean. So, I'm wondering if anybody has suggestions as to what the best rules are for a group of 5-7 people (mostly family), and what is the best variant or two players.

This is important to me, because I'm planning to drop this on my unsuspecting wife and family, and I really want the first impression to be a good one.

Thanks for the help.

Antonio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with children aged 7-10 plus several adults and we generally play without the seeds and bidding/auctioning. Sit around the table, choose a piece and add it to your tower. Last tower standing wins. Tallest tower if there are several lasts.

We've tried the various auctions and didn't like the game anything like so much. We tried the build three red bits into your tower but that is pretty broken.

Keep it simple, lighthearted and fun.

We used to make all the adults use their off hand for placement but the children have improved to the point that this is not necessary.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dolan
United States
Highland Lakes
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Give everybody 10 beans.

Draw a piece out of the bag. (no feeling around, snatch and grab)

If you don't want it it costs 1 bean to pass it clockwise. If that player doesn't want it, it costs him 2 beans to pass it. The next player pays 3 to pass it and so on.

When you are out of beans you have to use whatever you get passed or draw out of the bag on your turn.

You never get any beans back after you spend them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Give everybody 10 beans.

On your turn do one of the following:

a) Pick your choice of pieces from those left and add it to your tower

or

b) Pick your choice of pieces from those left and pay one bean to give it to your right-hand neighbour to add to their tower or two beans to give it to your left-hand neighbour to add to their tower.

or

c) Receive a piece from your right or left to add to your tower and add it to your tower

or

d) Receive a piece from your right or left to add to your tower and pass it on to the next player (can't go back to the player that gave it to you) for one more bean than was paid to pass it to you.

If your tower falls down, you lose. Last one standing wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Baukette" version plays well with two players. Each player gets a similar base and then selects 12 pieces and lines them up in a row. One player starts and in turn they pick and place one piece from the end of either players row. First player whose tower falls over loses or if all pieces are placed, the player with the highest tower wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice thoughts.

Any comments, experience about these ideas?
Recommendations?
Which way works the best?
New variant ideas?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arpad Orfi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clever idea!

Any comments, experience about this?
Recommendations, other thoughts?
Which way works the best?

New variant ideas?

Thanks!

clearclaw wrote:
Give everybody 10 beans.

or
b) Pick your choice of pieces from those left and pay one bean to give it to your right-hand neighbour to add to their tower or two beans to give it to your left-hand neighbour to add to their tower.
or
c) Receive a piece from your right or left to add to your tower and add it to your tower
or
d) Receive a piece from your right or left to add to your tower and pass it on to the next player (can't go back to the player that gave it to you) for one more bean than was paid to pass it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Give everybody 10 beans.

or

or

or

What if I pass a piece to you (on my right), then the player before you also passes a piece to you (on his left) before your turn. On your turn you end up with two pieces in front of you. Can you choose from them (to pass or play)? Then your next time around you have to deal with the other (unless somebody else passes you something in which case you might have a choice again).

We ended up just playing that you resolve all of the passing and playing as part of the current turn, then pick up play with the player after whoever started the passing. So if I pass to you then you immediately play or pass. Once the piece is played, play goes to the player to my left. I wasn't sure if this was the intent of your variant though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I take it to mean that when someone passes a piece to you from either direction, now it's your turn. Play always proceeds clockwise from whomever placed the last piece. That's why it costs two beans to pass clockwise, only one to pass counterclockwise (because you're likely get another turn immediately).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Astatula
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see, that does make sense now that you mention it. So you are passing a piece and the turn to to a player when you pass to them. I'll have to try this one again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.