Hide
12 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Etiquette Question regarding support rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Foster
msg tools
Can a player agree to give you support for a fee then take the fee and not give you the support?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's a nasty world. I would agree to pay him after he's given the support (and it's up to you whether you do or not - just remember you might need to ask him again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
Yes. It's a nasty world. I would agree to pay him after he's given the support (and it's up to you whether you do or not - just remember you might need to ask him again).

...which is one of the reasons I really like this game (along with Cosmic Encounter and similar games). Yes, he can do it and it makes for an amazing moment (as long as you keep it all in the game sessions). However, in doing so, he is burning his capital in receiving your trust the future and likely, too, making him a mark for you targeting him in the future. Be a good sport and pat him on the back for a well played move and get him back the next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paddy Ireland
msg tools
No. If support is offered that is final.But the fee doesn't necessarily need to be paid after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to qualify my earlier comment, I'll note the text on the rule book:

Quote:
Once a Dominus has agreed to support a Scheme, that Support may not be withdrawn: the granting of Support is final.

I believe the spirit of this text is that the Support cannot be withdrawn if something else develops such as the Scheme being revealed to not be what you described or - even without the Scheme being revealed - something happens that would change the supporter's mind. If I could rephrase your question, I would say that the Supporter was agreeing to agree to Support the Scheme. To my thinking, they could agree to agree to Support for gold. Once the gold had been received - what was interceding before the final decision - if they then agreed to Support, then they could not back on that. I hope that makes sense - and I hope my understanding is still in what the designers had in mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nav Dhanjal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'd love some clarification on this aswell...I feel that once you've agreed to provide influence for a scheme, you've agreed.

If you take the gold, you can't then retract the support...can you?

Also - what then stops you from making a deal in the market phase, for example - 5 gold for this gladiator - the person hands you the gold and you say 'see you later, Chump!'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Sequeira
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i play like this:

A: i'll help for 3 gold
B: here is the 3 gold
A: screw you

or

A: i'll help but then you pay me 3 gold
B: thanks, *gets help*, screw you

what i dont think should be allowed is going back on "instant trades". lets say it's open market and you want to sell a slave, you cant get the $ and keep the slave, nor can the other player get the slave and then not pay you.
but if the money is paid outside of the open market.. then feel free not to give the slave when the time comes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as above.

A- I will help for 3 gold.
B- Ok here is the 3 gold..... but you PROMISE TO HELP ME?
A- Yes I swear I will help if you give me 3 gold.
B- Ok, none of this screwing me over crap, you will help me right?
A- Give me 3 gold and I will help yes, no screwing you over.
B- *gives gold*
A- Thanks for the gold...SUCKER!!!!!

THIS IS JUST FINE!!.

But yeah, if someone in open market says "I will sell you these 3 guards for 5 gold" and guy gives you 5 gold. You are obligated to give the 3 guards.

That's how we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the rules are clear on this. Once you agreed, you have to keep your word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Wofford
msg tools
LarkinVB wrote:
I think the rules are clear on this. Once you agreed, you have to keep your word.

I agree with you on this. Once a dominus agrees to give support, it cannot be withdrawn. On the flip side, something like this can occur.

Solonius: Batiatus can I use your influence for this scheme?
Batiatus: Is this scheme going to played against me?
Solonius: No, it's not.
Batiatus: Will it help you.
Solunius: A little.
Batiatus: Give me 5 gold and I will let you use my influence.
Solonius gives the 5 coins and plays the scheme against Batiatus "Collusion - Minus 1 Influence to Target Dominus (Batiatus). + 1 Influence to Dominus (Solonius) of your choice." devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
Once you agreed, you have to keep your word.

For me it's not so much "keeping their word", as word is often broken, the spirit of Spartacus. There is no forced "my word is my bond" in this game. It's more, once a player verbally gives/agrees to support, it's the games way of saying, "the action is done", they've carried out what ever tasks were required for the scheme to take place.

The big bold letters in the rule book "that support may not be withdrawn", means people have to be careful with words here.

Saying "I agree to support you", isn't the down a dark ally secret meeting saying "yes i will do what you ask, i will support you" and then having an ability of not doing it. So we could say "my word is my bond" instead of support and go back on that. It's all in the wording.

If it was a scheme against you, you simply didn't realise that the poison you helped acquire was to be used on your gladiator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps some extra words in the book might of been better. Once A Dominus has agreed to support a scheme, they have supported the scheme, that support may not be withdrawn: the granting of support is final.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.