Popular Tags: [View All]
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[cross-post from the Columbia Games forum, since they're not that active over there]

Quick question: the Hyppogryph included in the barbarian army is a cost-5 move-3 flier, while the version in the chaos unit set appears to be a cost-4 move-2 flier. Which is correct? If there is no official errata, which do you play it as?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Ruf
Germany
Schönaich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, there is no error. Chaos units can have the same name but different statistics. Another example would be the giant spider, which has no favored terrain in the undead army, wood in the Ferkin army, and desert in the chaos expansion. As long as the cost matches the statistics, I don't see a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, I've never noticed that before. (Although I do tend to only use the chaos units included with the indivdual armies.)

The Wildryn Hippogryph has the same stats (minus spellcasting ability) as the Demon from the Chaos Expansion. Although I can only again shake my head at yet another inconsistancy, I am inclined to go with the Wildryn version, if only for theme. If you want to keep the labels as is, just accept that the Wildryn have "level 2" Hippogryphs due to better breeding. =P

There has been sufficient discussion on why the Demon is underpriced, which I agree with. However, given this discovery, I would suggest that the Chaos Hippogryph really should have the same stats as the Wildyn version and that the Demon should be reduced to Fly-2 movement and still cost 5. Whether I'll bother to mark up my blocks as such, I'm not sure. I'll have to try it out first. (Nor do I expect others to follow, since people have gotten used to the 6-cost Demon.)

Also, regarding the Spider. The Ferkin Spider should, indeed, have a desert terrain advantage. The Ferkin are already far too terrain-limited to take an additional hit by denying them a bit of flexibility with their chaos units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.