Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a really minor gripe, but one thing that struck me as I selected units for the 1939 Poland campaign was that the pzIII short-barrel and PzIV short-barrel tanks have identical stats. It would have been nice for there to have been some difference between them to provide an opportunity for a meaningful choice. I can understand that that may have been impractical as there is just not enough range of numbers on a 10-sided die to make each tank unique in some respect; this may have been the best that was possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In game terms, in regards to firepower, that would not be too far off base. The 5cm L42 gun could penetrate around the same amount of armor as the 7.5cm L24 gun at typical combat ranges - the smaller gun fired a smaller shell at a higher velocity vs the larger gun shell at a lower velocity - when using AP shot. The 7.5cm gun crews also often had a few HEAT rounds available for anti-tank work which gave it about parity with the AP rounds of the 5cm gun in terms of penetration at longer ranges. What eventually rendered the PzIII obsolete was having too small of a turret ring and turret to house the long 7.5cm guns that armed the later versions of the PzIV, which in turn many Pz IIIs were converted to Stugs with similar armament. In terms of armor protection and speed they were pretty much the same at that time.

Thanks
Christopher Dena
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Lederer
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I figured they were pretty close. I guess it would have been sad not to have both in the game, so even if it's only for flavor it's better this way. Maybe should play with fewer of each available so if you really want to go tank-heavy you have to take some of each, game came with 4 of each.

I am thinking back to Panzer General days when early PzIII was a bit better against armor and PzIV a bit better vs. infantry. I notice the cards changed from earlier (separate AP and HE attack values) to specific notes e.g. +1 vs. infantry, but again maybe the guns on these / MGs too similar to justify differentiating them at this scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NWS Wargaming Store
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I get the chance to look over the game in more detail I will see if I can come up with some optional "realism" rules like I did for TAL.

Thanks
Christopher Dean
NWS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.