MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DUNE - Game Thread

Welcome to the simplified version of Dune.

Roles were assigned on Friday and are available on Cassandra. Role abilities are described below along with game rules. If you have questions about your role, abilities, or team win conditions, please PM me.

All seers will receive random non-target hits for night 0. There is no actual "night 0" phase, rather I will simply send views and treat this as a long day 1.

Long Live the Fighters!

-----------------------

Rules and Roles

These will be added to and edited as I have time to add them in.
It should be noted that the teams are NOT all created equally - many roles are similar between teams, but for thematic purposes, and to prevent too static a game, some roles are unique to a team.

Atreides

Duke Leto - Recruiter for Atreides. Each night targets one person to recruit to Atreides team. If the player is a neutral and can become Atreides, this action succeeds. Leto will know the recruitment succeeds, and the recruited player will learn the identity of ONE Atreides player (randomly chosen) upon recruitment.

Jessica Atreides - Team Seer. Each night checks one player to see if that player is "Atreides" or "Not Atreides." If Jessica targets Paul Atreides (while Paul is an Atreides member), she will acquire PM rights with Paul. If she targets Paul after he has converted, Paul will be viewed as "Atreides" but she will not gain PM rights with Paul. She does not lose PM rights if Paul becomes Fremen after she has located him.

Paul Atreides - Latent Fremen. If Paul is targeted for recruitment by the Fremen, Paul will become a Fremen member and will no longer be an Atreides. If Paul is targeted by either Chani or Feyd for the "brutal" kill power, that kill power fails.

Thufir Hawat - Harkonnen Seer. Each night checks one player to see if that player is "Harkonnen" or "Not Harkonnen."

Duncan Idaho - Bodyguard. Each night Duncan may target one player to protect from kill. If that player is targeted, Duncan is killed instead. If Duncan is targeted for kill by the Harkonnens, or if the player Ducan protects is an Atreides and that player is targeted by the Harkonnens, Duncan kills one Harkonnen when he dies (randomly chosen).

Gurney Halleck - Back-up Recruiter. If Duke Leto dies, Gurney will become the new Atreides recruiter, and will learn which players Duke Leto has already targeted (along with success/failure).

Atreides Soldiers - Regular troops in the Atreides Service. Unknown number present in game.

Corrino

Emperor Shaddam - Recruiter for Corrino team. Each night targets one person to recruit to Corrino team. If the player is a neutral and can become Corrino, this action succeeds. Shaddam will know the recruitment succeeds, and the recruited player will learn the identity of ONE Corrino player (randomly chosen) upon recruitment.

Reverend Mother Mohiam - Team Seer. Each night checks one player to see if that player is "Corrino" or "Not Corrino." Each day, may PM moderator to change one player's vote to another player. The effect of this will not be known publicly unless it alters the lynch outcome (will be apparent from results). This power succeeds unless Mohiam targets one of the following players: Paul Atreides, Princess Irulan, Jessica Atreides, Count Fenring, Thufir Hawat, Piter DeVries. Mohiam may not switch any single player's vote more than once during the game.

Princess Irulan - Back-up Recruiter. If Emperor Shaddam dies, Irulan will become the new Corrino recruiter, and will learn which players the Emperor has already targeted (along with success/failure).

Guild Navigator - Fremen Seer. Each night checks one player to see if that player is "Fremen" or "Not Fremen."

Count Hasimir Fenring - Bodyguard. Each night Fenring may target one player to protect from kill. If that player is targeted, Fenring is "wounded" but is not killed. If Fenring successfully protects a player again, Fenring is killed instead.

Commander Aramsham - Sardaukar Infiltrator. Each night, Aramsham will receive the same information as one of the seers that receives a negative view ("Not Corrino," "Not Fremen," etc.). If all views are positive, Aramsham receives no information. Cmdr Aramsham does NOT receive any of the random Night 0 views, only views after night 0.

Sardaukar Soldiers - Regular troops in the Corrino Service. Unknown number present in game.

Harkonnens

Harkonnens have PM rights with each other and choose a kill target each night.

Baron Harkonnen - Harkonnen Recruiter. Each night targets one person to recruit to Harkonnen team. If the player is a neutral and can become Harkonnen, this action succeeds, and that player gains PM rights with all other Harkonnens. (Max of 2 successful recruitments permitted for the Harkonnen team.)

Feyd-Rautha - Brutal Wolf. If lynched, may kill any player that voted for him. If he targets Paul Atreides or Count Fenring his power fails.

Beast Rabban - If Baron Harkonnen is killed, Rabban becomes the Recruiter for the Harkonnen team, but may only recruit ONE player to the Harkonnen team (if the Baron has already recruited 2, Rabban cannot recruit anyone). Each day may target one player and attempt to nullify the player's vote entirely. If the targeted player is a Fremen or a Neutral, this action will succeed. However, it will not be known unless it alters the outcome of the lynch. Neither Rabban nor the Baron may attempt to recruit the player targeted by Rabban with this ability.

Fremen

Fremen have PM rights with each other and choose a kill target each night.

Stilgar - Fremen Recruiter. Each night targets one person to recruit to Fremen team. If the player is a neutral and can become Fremen, or is Paul Atreides, this action succeeds, and that player gains PM rights with all other Fremen. (Max of 2 successful recruitments permitted for the Fremen team.)

Chani - Brutal Wolf. If lynched, may kill any player that voted for her. If she targets Paul Atreides, Jessica Atreides, Liet Kynes, Feyd-Rautha, or Count Fenring her power fails.

Otheym - If Stilgar is killed, Otheym becomes the Recruiter for the Fremen team, but may recruit a maximum of ONE player to Fremen team (if Stilgar has recruited 2, Otheym cannot recruit anyone). If Otheym is targeted for kill by the Harkonnens, the kill is nullified for that night. Otheym may be targeted again by the Harkonnens for a successful kill.

Others

Piter DeVries - Wins with the Harkonnens, but the Harkonnens do not know his identity at the beginning of the game. Piter will know the player IDs of the Baron, Feyd, the Emperor, and Jessica Atreides at the beginning of the game, but will not know those players' specific roles. If the Harkonnens attempt to recruit Piter, they will learn his identity but will not gain PM rights with him. Although Piter wins with the Harkonnens and cannot be recruited to any team, Piter reveals upon death as "Neutral."

Neutrals - Unknown number of other neutrals in game. These players will not have a specific player ID at game start, and will not know which teams they can be recruited into. Upon successful recruitment, they will receive a role ID name and their new team assignment. Once recruited, the player is no longer Neutral and is a full member of the team he/she is recruited into.

Some Neutrals will have special abilities or conditions once recruited:

Dr. Liet Kynes - Recruitable either by Corrino or Fremen. If recruited by either team, Kynes will learn the identity of one random Atreides team member.

Dr. Wellington Yueh - Recruitable either by Atreides or Harkonnen. If recruited by Harkonnen, Yueh will be lynched in place of any Harkonnen that is lynched. If recruited by Atreides, Yueh may sacrifice himself and another Atreides to kill one random Harkonnen at night (Yueh must name the Atreides to be sacrificed, otherwise the power fails and only Yueh dies).

Lady Fenring - Recruitable by Corrino, Atreides, Harkonnen. If recruited by Corrino, gains PM rights with Count Hasimir Fenring. If recruited by Atreides, will learn identity of Count Fenring and may win either with Atreides or Corrino. If recruited by Harkonnen, Lady Fenring protects Feyd-Rautha from night-kill until either she is killed or until only she and Feyd are the remaining Harkonnens.

Others neutral characters will have a name once recruited, but will not have any special abilities:

Shadout Mapes
Ionesco Valdeshar
Esmar Tuek
Stabban Tuek
Guild Banking Representative
Lingar Bewt
Archduke of Ecaz
Earl of Vernius
Count of Richese

Rules

1. Lynch is determined by voting majority. In case of ties, ties are broken using the LONGEST HELD LAST VOTE (LHLV) method.

2. Rev. Mother Mohiam's vote switching power replaces a person's vote in the same number order as the original vote, but for the new target she chooses.

3. Beast Rabban's vote nullfication power does not affect the order of any other votes before or after it.

4. Harkonnens and Fremen submit a name each night for kill. If they target separate players, both players are killed (unless modified by bodyguard blocking). If they target the same player, that player is not killed and both night kills are nullified.

5. Harkonnens and Fremen may not target the same person for recruitment and night-kill.

6. Roles are not revealed on death. Only team alignment is revealed on death. Neutral players are revealed as "Neutral" unless they have been recruited, in which case they are revealed by their new team name.

7. Posting and participating in this game is mandatory. A player that fails to post any message by the first lynch deadline will be dropped and replaced. Thereafter, a player that fails to post in 24 hours will be given a 6 hour warning, after which the player will be replaced.

8. Lynch deadline is 4 PM BGG time. Night orders due 8 PM BGG time. First lynch occurs Tuesday, December 5th. Game goes on hold over the weekends; you may post, as usual, but the next day will not occur until following Monday.

9. Recruitment conflicts - If two or more teams target a neutral that can be recruited by those teams, then the recruitment fails but the recruiting players will know that multiple bids were made for that person.

Victory Conditions

Atreides - Atreides team must eliminate all Harkonnens, and either:
a) Have all Corrinos eliminated
b) Outnumber remaining Corrino + remaining Neutrals
c) Outnumber remaining Corrino only when all Fremen eliminated

Corrino - Corrino team must eliminate all Fremen, and either:
a) Have all Atreides eliminated
b) Outnumber remaining Atreides + remaining Neutrals
c) Outnumber remaining Atreides only when all Harkonnen eliminated

Harkonnen - Harkonnen team must either:
a) Eliminate all Fremen and achieve parity with remaining Atreides
b) Eliminate all Atreides and outnumber remaining Fremen
c) Eliminate all Fremen and achieve parity with all remaining players

Fremen - Fremen team must either:
a) Eliminate all Harkonnen and achieve parity with remaining Corrinos
b) Eliminate all Corrinos and outnumber remaining Harkonnen
c) Eliminate all Harkonnen and achieve parity with all remaining players

Neutrals - If at any time all Harkonnen and Fremen are eliminated, any players still neutral and unrecruited will achieve victory, regardless of whether any other team also achieve victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DUNE Simplified - Game Thread, Day 1
The Cassandra Automatic Vote Tally System

Your Moderator has enabled the Cassandra Automatic Vote Tally system
for this game. In order for it to function correctly, your votes will
need to be formatted correctly. The following rules will explain what
you will need to do:

Players
1. All votes must be bolded

2. The entire vote statement must be bolded and enclosed in bracekts: [vote jmilum]

3. Only one unvote and/or vote per post. You may have both an unvote
and a vote in the same post, but the unvote must come before the vote

4. You may [unvote all] instead of naming the current player
you are voting

5. If you [vote nightfall] your vote will be locked (voting
nightfall is allowed in the same post as a vote for a player, but it
must come after it, this does not violate Rule #3)

6. Vote tallies will be automatically posted to the game thread hourly
if the tally has changed. The Tally and Vote Logs (for each game day)
are also available on the Cassandra game page.

7. If your vote is not counted be sure to check the Vote Log page and
see if it was marked invalid and why.

8. Case does not matter and simple typos will not cause the vote to fail.

9. You may [vote no lynch] if your game allows it.

10. Quotes below the vote/unvote statement may cause the vote to be missed,
especially if they contain bolded sections.

11. Non voting players will be listed in the tallies. This will only be
correct if the Moderator notes which players have been killed (see below)

Moderators
1. The moderator will need to post [Dawn] when the day begins
(after the night results are posted) and [Dusk] when the lynch
deadline has passed and the day is over. Votes will not be counted
after [Dusk] has been posted. They will be registered again
after [Dawn] is next posted.

2. You may include a day number in the dawn and dusk post for
informational purposes, but it will not be used by the system.
Cassandra will increment an internal counter each time it sees
[Dawn] no matter what day is shown in a dawn post (i.e.
[Dawn 3] the three is allowed but ignored)

3. After dusk has been posted, the Moderator may go to the game page
on Cassandra to request a Final Tally to be posted before the normal
scan period has elapsed (i.e. Game Y gets scanned at 45 min. after the
hour, if it lynches at 7pm the moderator may request a tally to be
posted from the game page before 7:45pm. it will also be posted
regardless of whether or not it has been changed since the last
posting) - Do this by clicking on the 'Retrieve Final Lynch Time Vote' link.

4. You will need to note which players were killed via the lynch or at night by
either posting [killed jmilum] in the thread, or by going to the game
page and editing the player list. When posting in the thread, be sure to post
[dusk] before posting the lynch kill, and post [dawn] before
posting the night kill.
Example:
A. lynch time has passed so post [dusk]
B. goto the game page and select a final tally to be posted
C. check the final tally and post [killed melsana]
D. after the night deadline has passed post [dawn]
E. post the night kill with [killed kima]

Your Moderator has chosen to use the Longest Held Last Vote method for a tiebreaker - This is just for Cassandra system, and there may be a different tiebreaker specified by your Moderator in the ruleset.

Vote Log Page: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1382...
Vote Tally Page: http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1382...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Have we started, then?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lloyd
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm awaiting my role.

So, I hope not.

C.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luge, I think you have to look on Cassandra for your role, I don't think he's PMing them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Valvard
msg tools
Spread the conFUDsion wherever you can...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... I'm not a killer, anyway.
I'm not (currently, that is) either Harkonnen or Fremen.

I'm hoping that that is a good thing to say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An open-eyed man falling into the well
United States
Roswell
Georgia
flag msg tools
"I don’t believe in magic that works whether or not you believe in it!"
mbmbmbmbmb
The spice must flow.

I'm not a Harkonnen or Fremen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty B
United States
Upstate
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am not a Harkonnen.
I am not a Fremen.

It's dusty here. Anyone have a glass of water?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am Emperor Palpatine, I stepped through this shimmering vortex and arrived on this planet.

I must go to a room and find a suitable disguise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I have arrived on Arrakis. Let us see how we might resolve the latest crisis of Spice. For the Spice must flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristie Satterly
United States
Bailey
Colorado
flag msg tools
Run you clever boy, and REMEMBER!
badge
Well behaved women, seldom make history.
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
I am Emperor Palpatine, I stepped through this shimmering vortex and arrived on this planet.

01001000 01101001 00100000 01010011 01111001 01100010 01101111 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01101101 01101001 01110011 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100101 01100001 01110100 01101100 01111001 00100001

This says "Hi Sybot... missed you greatly!" but I won't use code again in this game because Kima doesn't like it.

I just got back from Sydney, Australia... so this sand everywhere is pretty disappointing, but then again so is being back at all.

K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, in case you didn't get the broadcast message from Friday, your role is to be found on Cassandra.

http://www.thecassandraproject.org/jeremy/werewolf/game/1382...

Please check there for your role assignment, and check the top post on this thread for role details and what team you are on. Anyone starting the game as "neutral" is listed as "Neutral" in Cassandra, anyone belonging to one of the four main teams has a role assigned. If you have any doubts about what team you're on, or what you're supposed to do with the role you've been handed, feel free to PM me about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PaulW
United States
Warrington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have arrived as well. Interesting rules set.

Makes a note on the early vote time.

The spice must flow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a Harkonnen or a Fremen.

I'm going to have to pretend to just be crash-landed on your lovely planet as I haven't read these books or seen these movies. Spice, huh? I have some cinnamon cookies, will that do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
kristiefix wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

01001000 01101001 00100000 01010011 01111001 01100010 01101111 01110100 00101110 00101110 00101110 00100000 01101101 01101001 01110011 01110011 01100101 01100100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100111 01110010 01100101 01100001 01110100 01101100 01111001 00100001

This says "Hi Sybot... missed you greatly!" but I won't use code again in this game because Kima doesn't like it.

I just got back from Sydney, Australia... so this sand everywhere is pretty disappointing, but then again so is being back at all.

K

Hey!, My code was a joke. Someone else started it. I just took it to the extreme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I am also not Harkonnen or Freman, now that I have gotten the chance to look at my role on Cassie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:

I'm going to have to pretend to just be crash-landed on your lovely planet as I haven't read these books or seen these movies. Spice, huh? I have some cinnamon cookies, will that do?

There is no substitute for space in the whole 'verse. And we know not what comes from without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows. To begin your study of the life of Muad'Dib, then take care that you first place him in his time: born in the 57th year of the Padishah Emperor, Shaddam IV. And take the most special care that you locate Muad'Dib in his place: the planet Arrakis. Do not be deceived by the fact that he was born on Caladan and lived his first fifteen years there. Arrakis, the planet known as Dune, is forever his place.

- from Manual of Muad'Dib by the Princess Irulan

--------

In the week before their departure to Arrakis, when all the final scurrying about had reached a nearly unbearable frenzy, an old crone came to visit the mother of the boy, Paul.

The old woman was let in by a side door down the vaulted passage by Paul's room and she was allowed a moment to peer in at him where he lay on his bed.

"Is he not small for his age, Jessica?" the old woman asked. Her voice wheezed and twanged like an untuned baliset.

Paul's mother answered in her soft contralto: "The Atreides are known to start late getting their growth, Your Reverence."

"So I've heard, so I've heard," wheezed the old woman. "Yet he's already fifteen."

"Yes your reverence."

"He's awake and listening to us!" said the old woman. "Sly little rascal. But royalty has need of slyness. And if he really is the Kwisatz Hadderach... well..."

Within the shadows of his bed, Paul held his eyes to mere slits. Two bird-bright ovals, the eyes of the old woman, seemed to expand and glow as they stared into his.

"Sleep well, you sly rascal. Tomorrow you'll need all your faculties to meet my gom jabbar." And then she was gone.

Paul lay awake mouthing her strange words. Gom Jabbar... Kwisatz Hadderach...

There had been so many things to learn. Arrakis would be such a different place from Caladan; Paul's mind whirled with the new knowledge. Arrakis - Dune - Desert Planet.

------------

[DAWN]

It is now Day 1. Day 1 will extend until 4 PM tomorrow, when first lynch will occur.

As a reminder: All players are expected to post in this thread before lynch tomorrow. Players not posting will be dropped and replaced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle Anner
United States
Orchard Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.” ― Tom Robbins
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi! Just found my role. I promise I'm not Fremen or Harkonnen. I'm a robot! robot

I havent come up with a good strategy for managing this game mechanic yet though... I have to think more on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lenethen
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting rules.... Anyone got some spice? I sure could use a hit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I am here. I'm neither Harkonnen nor Fremen.

I see... sand.

And... more sand.

What do you do for fun around here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
buffalospynovel wrote:
I'm a robot! robot

Ha!

Matching the four sides here to the four in the ZPNRM game, Atreides are pirates, Corrino are robots. Harkonnen are... ninja. Fremen are zombies, then. Hmm, that sorta fits, I've heard some right scary things about the Fremen. Do they eat brains?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Denise wrote:

There is no substitute for space in the whole 'verse. And we know not what comes from without it.

Well, I'm over my head, clearly. I can't even parse this sentence, let alone understand it

Ginger cookies, anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:
buffalospynovel wrote:
I'm a robot! robot

Ha!

Matching the four sides here to the four in the ZPNRM game, Atreides are pirates, Corrino are robots. Harkonnen are... ninja. Fremen are zombies, then. Hmm, that sorta fits, I've heard some right scary things about the Fremen. Do they eat brains?

I think that's Reavers you're thinking of. Wrong 'verse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo, that's it, that's what I'll do, I just crash-landed on Dune from the Firefly universe!! NOW I know how to throw in some RP!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [41] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.