Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What is the best easy-to-teach game for eight players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of game?

Party: Time's Up, Wits and Wagers
Card: Citadels, Bang!

Do an advanced search, specify 8 players and light weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 Nimmt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bausack Sac Noir Edition works great with 8. Use a 30 second timer though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
Puerto Rico. Requires two copies of the game, and two tables.

(In all seriousness, Diamant's fun if light, and some friends of mine swear by Saboteur, though it doesn't do that much for me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second 6 nimmt as a great card game for up to 10 players (although I have the Category 5 edition). I would also add in Pitchcar as it is really easy to teach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the best. But Tsuro, is incredibly easy to teach. (as long as 1 person understands the dragon tile) It plays up to 8. It is quick, simple, and so long as people aren't excesively nice, very fun. Well I guess very fun is too strong. It is fun for people who like a little chaos and confrontation. and don't mind losing with the knowledge that a new game is less than 6 minutes away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Motorchamp is pretty easy to teach and lots of fun for 8 (although mostly a dice fest, it has some of the strategy of backgammon). Turfmaster is just slightly more complex, still easy and great for 8.

I second Diamant as a quick light "press your luck" sort of game.
6 nimmt can be very enjoyable as a quick light card game.

Moods (solo play) and Wise & Otherwise (4 teams of 2) I can recommend in the party category.

Carabande w/ the Action Set I have tried with 8 and had a blast. This is a disc flicking "dexterity" game, and is very fast moving.

Sac Noir I own and while it is fun, I think with more than 4-5 it seems to take too long for your turn to come around again. mrbass which variant do you play with that many people?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game I have that is enjoyable with 8 is also easy to teach: Diamant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mrbass
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
facesnorth wrote:

Bid to take or Bid not to take. Give everyone 10 poker chips or whatever. Starting bid can bid 0 for both types of auctions. 'Bid to take' highest bid pays. 'Bid not to take' everyone must up it by at least one to avoid taking piece. Play with a 30 second timer to force someone to choose a piece quickly to keep the game moving. Your right it can go long without a timer for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbass wrote:
Bid to take or Bid not to take. Give everyone 10 poker chips or whatever. Starting bid can bid 0 for both types of auctions. 'Bid to take' highest bid pays. 'Bid not to take' everyone must up it by at least one to avoid taking piece. Play with a 30 second timer to force someone to choose a piece quickly to keep the game moving. Your right it can go long without a timer for sure.
Time to dial down on the meds, mrbass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Lebowski
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The Dude abides!
badge
yeah? well… y’know, that’s just like, uh… your opinion, man…
mbmbmbmbmb
although 8 players are not really much for that game, we REALLY enjoyed werewolf with that number. can be played with a standard card deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jungle Speed would be my pick if you have a big round table or can sit close together on the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
The only game I have that is enjoyable with 8 is also easy to teach: Diamant

Oooh! I second that! Diamant!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Seal of Approval
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apples to Apples comes to mind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Christiaens
Belgium
Oetingen
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best in my experience would be Turfmaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing is easier to teach than Pitchcar...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
We played RoboRally with 8 and it was great!
Mayhem!

Be sure to pick a relatively short scenario, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Spontelli
United States
MANSFIELD
TX-Texas
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/dfwgames/
badge
Okay, let's start the meeting. My name is Ken, and I'm a Tichu addict.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second all those that said Diamant, Citadels, 6 Nimmt and Saboteur. If I needed to pick a couple of those I would choose Diamant and Saboteur.

I see that you are playing in Japan. If your players are not up on United States based trivia, you might want to skip Wits and Wages. Some of the question are U.S. based. You can see some of the questions here http://tinylink.com/?OT8A0ftpc2 to see if you think it would be a problem for your group. Truely, knowing the answer is the smaller of the two parts of this game so it may still work well for you.

For a eight player game that people 'get' quickly I use Himmelsstürmer. It is also call The Great Balloon Race. The rules say it is for up to six players but I use all eight of the cards quite often and I see no ill effects to having eight players in the game. It has cool balloon bits and people like the old school look of the game. I urge you to try this game and I would like to shout out to Stven Carlberg who first showed me this game.

You can easily find this game for very little money on German eBay. Search for Himmelsstürmer , Poursuite en Ballon , Balloon Fiesta , La Fabuleuse Course en Ballons and, The Great Balloon Race. Make sure you check the box for a worldwide search in the location area of the advance search options.

Here is a tiny link for the Himmelsstürmer eBay worldwide search:
http://tinylink.com/?zWsc7JYcvm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have 6 Nimmt!, Sabatour, and Citadels. Those are all great. So far, it seems as if Pitchcar might be a good way to go, but I'm a little worried about the price. Is flicking little wooden cars that much fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So far, it seems as if Pitchcar might be a good way to go, but I'm a little worried about the price. Is flicking little wooden cars that much fun?

It has several advantages:
- Everyone can play (I've been beaten by 5 yo), no rules to teach.
- It plays as good for 2 to 8.
- You can play the number of laps you want (depending on the time you have).
- There are many different circuits.

BUT: you need a big (and FLAT!) table... Last summer holidays we played it a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Time's Up is easily the best game for eight players and it's pretty easy to learn. In every game I've ever played, I've had at least three moments in which I laughed till I cried. However, some familiarity with the celebrities is good and the ones provided are somewhat U.S.-centric. If this is a problem, though, you can always have everyone write down some famous people prior to each game (which is how the original game, Celebrities, is played).

As others have said, Diamant is a good filler that plays fine with eight.

Pow Wow is a bluffing game that plays up to eight. I have played and loved its predecessor, Coyote, with seven (even though it only has components for six), so I'm sure Pow Wow works with eight. I understand that the card mix is better in Coyote, but I'm sure Pow Wow is easier to find. I would still recommend it if you enjoy bluffing games like Liar's Dice.

Finally, How Much for the Camel? is a clever light Cheapass-style game that was expressly designed to handle 7-9 players. It's a nice little auction game that works very well with eight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Robot is on my watch list. It is a puzzle-like game that supports 2-20 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(leaving out the innumerable party games that can take as many people as you can handle)

I'll second Tsuro- elegant, fun, very simple to learn, and perhaps even *ptimal with the maximum number of eight. Formula De can also take eight (up to ten, in fact), and the base rules are quite simple.

I'm actually going to have to urge you to specifically avoid Citadels with eight- my experience is with more than five the game tends to drag on to unreasonable lengths.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.