Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game today using the Age of Empire official rules. The way the Public Objectives turned out, we had 6 Primary and no Secondary, the Game Over card came up as the first Public Objective so the game was set to end at 7 rounds.

When the 7th round came about we updated the scores and 2 players had a tie for Victory Points. In the standard game the first player to reach 10 wins, not matter if someone else also reaches 10 during the same round of play. With Age of Empire you play to see which player has the highest score, so everyone has to be "counted" and all players complete their final Status Phase scoring -- scoring any Secret Objective they may have accomplished in the round and one final Public Objective.

So unless I'm missing something, you can end up with a tie score when playing this option.

Does this sound correct to everyone?

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds right, according to the way Age of Empire rules are written (I don't use a turn marker, myself). You can have a tie in victory points when the game ends (there are tie breaker rules, though).

On page 14 in the manual are the tie breaker rules:

"...If there is a tie,
then the greater number of resolved Objective
Cards breaks the tie; if there is still a tie, then
the greater number of planets, then unused
Command Counters, and then the total number
of Command Counters on a player's Race
Sheet. If still tied, then the game ends in a
draw between the tying players."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info.

In my memory I kept thinking I had read something about tie-breaking rules but could not find it in the Index.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting this tiebreaker is more specific to the Imperium Rex card, and not necessarily to Age of Empires; if the regular game is played, and the ISC is used to reveal Imperium Rex, the game ends immediately, and as such, it's possible to have a tie score, and the same tiebreaker rules would be used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.