Hide
5 Posts

Splendor» Forums » Variants

Subject: At least one noble must visit to win rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathy Wilson
msg tools
We changed the winning points to 18 but 3 of those points must be from a noble. Otherwise we were playing the game and found it was easy to get to 15 with or without any nobles making them seem not an important part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cant
United Kingdom
Retford, Notts
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife beat me yesterday with just 3rd tier cards.

The nobles are good for new players to help them target something. I wonder if it would be better to have secret objectives or 1 secret for each player & 1 less noble than the players or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this variant would only work if either nobles replenished, or you were prevented from getting more than one noble. Otherwise it's possible to have someone get to 15, but be unable to get a noble as they've all been taken already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sethala wrote:
I think this variant would only work if either nobles replenished, or you were prevented from getting more than one noble. Otherwise it's possible to have someone get to 15, but be unable to get a noble as they've all been taken already.

Agreed, I like the choice of whether to go for a noble or not. Playing this way removes some of the choices from the player and makes it easier in some cases to prevent a player from being able to win the game.

Also, I think in about 15 games, I have only seen one win where the player didn't have a noble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Zagieboylo
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yrael wrote:
My wife beat me yesterday with just 3rd tier cards.

You need to play more defense. If she starts a card by reserving it, grab up the chips she needs to buy it, and keep them. If she starts with the chips, when you see she's ready to buy some 4 or 5 point card, reserve it.

This might not be good for your marriage, but you'll win the game more. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.