Subject: Movement - only one space always? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Popielski
United States
Brecksville
Ohio
flag msg tools
When you add a piece to the board, are you always limited to sliding it just one space on to the board, even if its movement is not obstructed by another piece to allow sliding more that one space?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, just one space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. You can only push one piece one space from the outside (black dots) onto the playing area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Popielski
United States
Brecksville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sunday silence
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I have to add, that the rules on the Rio Grande site are not at all clear on this, it says to "move a piece from a dot to a free spot." When you get to no. 3 in the rules it finally says you can only move one spot at a time, but it's not what that move is. Thanks for clearing this up..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Wentzler
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sundaysilence wrote:
I have to add, that the rules on the Rio Grande site are not at all clear on this, it says to "move a piece from a dot to a free spot." When you get to no. 3 in the rules it finally says you can only move one spot at a time, but it's not what that move is. Thanks for clearing this up..

Yeah that should read "to an adjacent free spot".

By the way, one of my pet peeves has for a long time been the use of the word "push". The game is often compared to Abalone, and I have often observed players simply trying to push a whole line of pieces into the board with the new piece (this makes a mess).

An introduction actually happens from the end of the moved line outward to the new piece: you shift them one by one until there is room for the new piece. When we used to play tournaments I was even scolded for moving several pieces at once, it had to be one by one! Nowadays I get away with it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If not mistaken, the diagrams in the rulebook explain this clearly. Even the GIPF Rulebook online (2a-2b) has clear diagrams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.