Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this map expansion this weekend but only broke it out at a game night yesterday to read the rules with friends. Because of the beauracracy rule to always remove the lowest power plant AND place the highest one under the pile, we got the impression this map is designed to play a faster total game. Is that true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is faster. Also the prices to connect cities are lower, again faster play.
I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like it should play faster, but in practice we found little difference. We played a 6-player game and I think there were fewer rounds before the game was over, but it didn't shorten the time that much. Cheaper connection costs meant players had more money, so more players could get involved in auctions (and the auctions went on longer).

I did wonder whether we were all playing a bit cautiously in terms of connections. Perhaps it is safer to zoom ahead on cities with the Benelux map. It's certainly possible, given the cheaper connection costs, but whether it would be wise I don't know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, it is faster. Played a 3 player game in slightly over an hour, and a 4 player game in less than 1.5 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished a 6-player game on this map in 7 turns. Normally it takes us about 9 turns to finish a 6-player game. The constant discarding of the smallest plants makes bigger, more efficient plants available early. This keeps the fuel prices down and allows players to earn more money in the bureaucracy phase, so it's not surprising that it takes fewer turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a four player game tonight and it definitely went faster. The removal of the lowest plant in addition to putting the highest plant under the deck speeds the whole process up, the Step 3 card appears much faster.

I'm going to have to scout around to see if there are any additional special rules - we played four player (as mentioned above) using only the bottom four provinces which means we exlcuded the brown (or off-orange) and green regions. When you add it up there are only twenty-one cities, which means a total of 63 connections can be made. Technically this means 16-16-16-15 is possible for the four players which means the end game of 17 cities cannot be triggered. We ended up with 17-16-16-14 so the end game was triggered, we figured that we would just have to call it if the last connection was built, but perhaps the standard rules for excluding regions should be modified for this map? There is nothing in the German original or the English translation from BGG to cover this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
I'm going to have to scout around to see if there are any additional special rules - we played four player (as mentioned above) using only the bottom four provinces which means we exlcuded the brown (or off-orange) and green regions. When you add it up there are only twenty-one cities, which means a total of 63 connections can be made. Technically this means 16-16-16-15 is possible for the four players which means the end game of 17 cities cannot be triggered.

Luxembourg and Wallonia are a single region.
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/132255
and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/146333

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Törnqvist
Finland
Cloud 8, Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played this one with four players yesterday and it was quite fast. The difference is not that great, though, since the price of the resources increased rapidly when the better power plants were available early in the game. This slowed down the progress a lot.

The problem with this map in our session was that there simply wasn't enough resources for everyone, but we might have been unlucky with the power plants too. We had several occations when a player didn't actually have anything to do during his turn since you really had to be one of the worst in order to be able to supply power.

A competitive map but not my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Perriam
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
played it for the first time last night.

and it certainly seemed to fly by compared to the other maps.

for 2 players we enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
We played a four player game tonight and it definitely went faster. The removal of the lowest plant in addition to putting the highest plant under the deck speeds the whole process up, the Step 3 card appears much faster.

I'm going to have to scout around to see if there are any additional special rules - we played four player (as mentioned above) using only the bottom four provinces which means we exlcuded the brown (or off-orange) and green regions. When you add it up there are only twenty-one cities, which means a total of 63 connections can be made. Technically this means 16-16-16-15 is possible for the four players which means the end game of 17 cities cannot be triggered. We ended up with 17-16-16-14 so the end game was triggered, we figured that we would just have to call it if the last connection was built, but perhaps the standard rules for excluding regions should be modified for this map? There is nothing in the German original or the English translation from BGG to cover this.

You got the rules wrong - the rules do not say you have to exclude 2 regions, but that you use 4 regions if played 4-player (3 regions for 2-3 players, 5 regions for 5-6 players), so you remove 2 regions on the other maps, but as the Benelux map has only 5, you remove just 1 to get the required 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.