Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
I had lunch today with some friends from college and their five-year old daughter, Julian. Of course, being the good, evangelizing Eurogamer, I brought a couple of games with me, you know, just in case. Since I was introduced to German games a year ago, when I'm sitting around with my friends talking and catching up with each other, I can't help but think in the back of my mind: "We could be playing a game right now!" I know, it's sick.

As it turns out, my friends were interested in playing a game. Oh, happy day! We retired to the living room. No sooner did I start reaching for Ticket to Ride than my friends' little girl, who heard we wanted to play a game, ran into the room with her Sesame Street edition of Chutes and Ladders. Sigh, how could I say no to a five-year old who calls me Uncle Ed and changed into a pink dress when she heard I was coming over.

At least I got to be Elmo. The Sesame Street edition only comes with four figures -- Big Bird, Elmo, Cookie Monster, and an androgynous orange character I'd never seen before that my friends insisted was female. We had five players, so we grabbed a pink My Little Pony ornament that was hanging on the Christmas tree, and we were ready to go.

I won't bore you with a blow-by-blow account. I got out to an early lead and was feeling quite pleased with myself, but Julian, who was playing Orange Androgyny, landed on a ladder that sent her almost to the top level, thanks to a favorable nudge of the spinner by her mom while the rest of us weren't looking.

The four adults entertained ourselves by putting My Little Pony in a compromising position with Cookie Monster, covering Big Bird's face with My Little Pony's tail, and engaging other such juvenile antics.

Julian was on the verge of winning, but she came close to tears when she didn't spin the numbers needed to land on one of three chutes on the top level. We tried explaining chutes are a bad thing, but she wouldn't hear it. After much soothing of hurt feelings, she finally spun her way to the end, and we all congratulated her and heaped much praise.

Of course, I learned later on the Geek that we played a rule incorrectly. A player is required to spin the exact number needed to reach the end. In our case, Julian needed a three but spun a four and we erroneously allowed her to claim victory. Once again, I was unjustly robbed of victory!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Berry
United States
Unspecified
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having a one year old daughter I watch the show "Charlie and Lola" all too much. There is an episode that "Snakes and Ladders" is being played. Lola, the little girl, is losing to her brother by a wide margin but manages to win by "charming the snake" to take her up instead of down and telling her older brother that he can't go up the ladder because "dad said you can't climb ladders until your 21 years old." Not much help in your loss but it does go to show you that little girls will go to some extreme lengths to win at that board game at the very least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.