Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schemaille
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My KS copy arrived five days ago. Since that time, I've played Vye at least five times. So far it's only been the short (20 min.) game, but we've been having a blast. What follows below are my thoughts so far. It's my first review, so forgive me (and tell me) if I've missed any critical information.

Components: the cards are made of nice, thick stock and have a nice linen finish. The wooden cubes are standard, and everything fits nicely into the box, which is a touch smaller than the one for The Resistance: Avalon. The cardboard insert is a little wobbly.

Art: the art for the game is, in a word, charming. I find the land cards reminiscent of 1930s WPA posters, or certain vintage paperback book covers. I think it was the art, more than anything else, that inspired me to Kickstart this game. My fiancee is thrilled she can get a t-shirt with game art on it; high praise from someone who prefers solid colors.

Rules & Gameplay: the basics of the game are very simple to understand. I was able to teach the basic rules to both children and adults in just a few minutes, with most of that time being taken up by explaining the function of the Family cards. I've only played with the Special cards once so far, but they were intuitive to use. Some of the as-yet-unplayed Special (and Legendary) cards make me feel like a simple player aid would be very helpful during gameplay.

Gameplay itself is smooth and easy. There's very little room for AP and it moves pretty quickly. I don't think the game is deep, necessarily, but it's a lot of fun and it's interesting. There are meaningful choices to be made on every turn and fortunes can change in an instant on a clever play. The game has so far been enjoyed by hardcore gamers, my 7yo, and as part of an activity at the adult day program where I work.

Theme: this game could really be fit to any theme, since it's very abstract. It could just as easily be about galactic conquest, cattle ranching, or gerrymandering, but of course all these examples speak to the Area Control nature of the game. In a chicken-or-egg question, I find myself wondering if the art was designed to match the magical/fantasy theme, or if the theme was chosen to match the art.

Either way, it boils down to the fact that the basic game can be played using a poker deck and some chips. That said, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun with a poker deck. The art really does help make this game a delight to play, and you'd be missing out otherwise.

Conclusion: Final Score 7.5/10
I really like Vye. It's simple to play but meaty enough to keep me wanting more. It was an instant hit with everyone who's played it so far, and that's not something most games can claim. The art is fantastic, it's fun to play, and I'm very happy to own it. There's probably a place for this game in anyone's collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. I agree with what you've said. Vye is a very "cute" game that is lovely to play. I Kickstarted it at the level to get the digital art book, and it's a wonderful supplement to the art style. I haven't had the chance yet to play my copy, just got it a couple of days ago. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pacman88k wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts, Mike. I agree with what you've said. Vye is a very "cute" game that is lovely to play. I Kickstarted it at the level to get the digital art book, and it's a wonderful supplement to the art style. I haven't had the chance yet to play my copy, just got it a couple of days ago. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow...

Played my copy for the very first time today. Plays fairly easily and looks spectacularly good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.