Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Bottom of the 9th» Forums » General

Subject: Disappointed at Origins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed at Origins that the Dice Hate Me folks were not at all interested in giving me a demo after finding out that I had backed the game on Kickstarter. I guess they already have the money.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry to hear. It is really disappointing. The only time I went to Origins, I thought that the companies were not interested enough in demoing Stone Age and A Touch of Evil. That experience made me never pick up those games.

It does not look like you have that option. soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ronaldo wrote:
I'm sorry to hear. It is really disappointing. The only time I went to Origins, I thought that the companies were not interested enough in demoing Stone Age and A Touch of Evil. That experience made me never pick up those games.

It does not look like you have that option. soblue


I am sorry to hear that. Especially about Stone Age because I work conventions for Rio and we always strive to take care of everyone that comes into the room.

As for my experience, there are always some options. I can trade or I can sell and the I can react with my future purchases (or lack of them) from the offending company. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
I was disappointed at Origins that the Dice Hate Me folks were not at all interested in giving me a demo after finding out that I had backed the game on Kickstarter. I guess they already have the money.


When you say "not interested", do you mean they didn't volunteer to give you one (perhaps because they assumed you didn't want one, because you had already backed), or do you mean you asked them for a demo and they said "No, we're not giving you one, because you already backed".

Sometimes misunderstandings happen at booths. People are being pulled in several directions, are in a loud place, etc. Would just be nice to know the full story, as I'm sure it wasn't their intention to send you away from the booth disappointed.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
rickert wrote:
I was disappointed at Origins that the Dice Hate Me folks were not at all interested in giving me a demo after finding out that I had backed the game on Kickstarter. I guess they already have the money.


When you say "not interested", do you mean they didn't volunteer to give you one (perhaps because they assumed you didn't want one, because you had already backed), or do you mean you asked them for a demo and they said "No, we're not giving you one, because you already backed".

Sometimes misunderstandings happen at booths. People are being pulled in several directions, are in a loud place, etc. Would just be nice to know the full story, as I'm sure it wasn't their intention to send you away from the booth disappointed.


I wasn't going to tell the story unless someone wanted to hear it, but this is what happened. I also work at the con for Rio Grande so I had an exhibitor badge. I got into the Hall early. At about 9:50 on Friday, I made my way to the booth because in my limited amount of time there on Thursday, the demo had been busy each time past. I told the Dice Hate Me person in the booth (don't know his name because his badge was turned inward) that I was a big baseball fan and had backed the game on kickstarter. I said I wanted to see the components and try it out. He thanked me for backing and walked away. Someone else walked up right after the doors opened as I was still standing there waiting to get my demo. He told the same person he hadn't backed but wanted to try it and had some buddies who were waiting back at home for his opinion of it. This person told him to step up to the table and he said something to another person at the booth who immediately started a demo. I walked away after putting in a terse "Thanks for your help" to the original booth person, who said nothing. I finally got over my anger on Sunday and went over to see about a demo around 11. The same booth person saw me there and went back to straightening the motorcycle racing game that has just been finished without asking to help me. That's when I got fed up and left, determined I would write something about my displeasure once I returned home.

From my work at conventions I know this isn't how it is supposed to be done. The only difference I saw between the two of us who wanted demos is that I represented no potential new money and the other suggested he might be able to impact multiple sales. Or maybe Dice Hat Me hates Rio? I hadn't considered that until writing this.

I appreciate your feedback Rodney and I know you support this product but it is hard for me to understand how this could be a misunderstanding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rick,

I'm sorry you were disappointed with your experience at the booth. Rodney is right in saying that booth miscommunications do happen, especially when there is not clear intent.

It's likely that the person you encountered was me. As the head of Dice Hate Me Games and the general overseer of the booth, I have a lot of stations to maintain and parts to manage. Around 9:50 each morning before the hall opens, I'm typically working on making sure everything is set up, that product is stocked and that people are ready and know where to be when everyone comes in. That's not to say it would give me an excuse not to provide you information when you came up to the booth, just that I was probably running to and fro or mulling over my mental checklist of things before the hall opens.

If someone walks up to one of the demo tables I'll always say hello, even if I'm busy. Sometimes they'll say "just looking" but others will likely say "are you running demos of this?" I encountered several backers of the project who approached the Bot9 table and said they just wanted to check out the components, and many more who asked for an actual demo. We're not giving preference to potential customers - we want to show the game off to everyone, and we greatly appreciate our backers.

What you should realize is that our booth is not run like Rios. We have a very small pool of dedicated supporters who help manage the booth. Sometimes someone will take a break and we have to cover positions, or man two at once. I'm generally trying to float and cover open spots, so my attention can't always be everywhere at once.

I greatly appreciate your support of Bottom of the 9th, and, again, I'm sorry that you were displeased with your booth experience. We were very lucky to have been able to provide many backers and potential fans of the game a fun experience while at Origins. If you feel that this has sullied your opinion of the game, I would encourage you to contact me directly at chris@dicehateme.com and I will provide a full refund of your pledge.

Thanks,
Chris

rickert wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:
rickert wrote:
I was disappointed at Origins that the Dice Hate Me folks were not at all interested in giving me a demo after finding out that I had backed the game on Kickstarter. I guess they already have the money.


When you say "not interested", do you mean they didn't volunteer to give you one (perhaps because they assumed you didn't want one, because you had already backed), or do you mean you asked them for a demo and they said "No, we're not giving you one, because you already backed".

Sometimes misunderstandings happen at booths. People are being pulled in several directions, are in a loud place, etc. Would just be nice to know the full story, as I'm sure it wasn't their intention to send you away from the booth disappointed.


I wasn't going to tell the story unless someone wanted to hear it, but this is what happened. I also work at the con for Rio Grande so I had an exhibitor badge. I got into the Hall early. At about 9:50 on Friday, I made my way to the booth because in my limited amount of time there on Thursday, the demo had been busy each time past. I told the Dice Hate Me person in the booth (don't know his name because his badge was turned inward) that I was a big baseball fan and had backed the game on kickstarter. I said I wanted to see the components and try it out. He thanked me for backing and walked away. Someone else walked up right after the doors opened as I was still standing there waiting to get my demo. He told the same person he hadn't backed but wanted to try it and had some buddies who were waiting back at home for his opinion of it. This person told him to step up to the table and he said something to another person at the booth who immediately started a demo. I walked away after putting in a terse "Thanks for your help" to the original booth person, who said nothing. I finally got over my anger on Sunday and went over to see about a demo around 11. The same booth person saw me there and went back to straightening the motorcycle racing game that has just been finished without asking to help me. That's when I got fed up and left, determined I would write something about my displeasure once I returned home.

From my work at conventions I know this isn't how it is supposed to be done. The only difference I saw between the two of us who wanted demos is that I represented no potential new money and the other suggested he might be able to impact multiple sales. Or maybe Dice Hat Me hates Rio? I hadn't considered that until writing this.

I appreciate your feedback Rodney and I know you support this product but it is hard for me to understand how this could be a misunderstanding.
18 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I under5stand there might not have been any intent on your part to slight a backer. But I do wish you or whoever it was would have said, "Stay right there and we will make sure you get the first demo of the day once the doors open." I would have left happy and never had to write about this experience. I will carefully consider your offer of a refund because I am not sure if just bringing this to the table might serve as a reminder of the Origins experience.

What might persuade me to keep my pledge would be if I could have a specifically scheduled appointment at GenCon for a demo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
...if I could have a specifically scheduled appointment at GenCon for a demo.


Hey Rick!

I'm one of the designer's for Bottom of the 9th, and it would be my pleasure to schedule a one-on-one demo with you at GenCon. I will be there Friday-Sunday for the con. Hit me up with GeekMail and we'll plan it out!

-Darrell
18 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Bach
msg tools
What's odd is I had a very similar experience at Origins. Half the time, the Bottom of the 9th table was unmanned (I was there all 5 days, and walked by well over a few dozen times) and on the few occassions someone was at the table, if I approached and started to look at the game, no one would say a word to me. It was very discouraging. Surprisingly, this attitude seemed to be all over Origins 2015, since I had several experiences at the Fair where I would approach a game or an individual working a booth and would receive no greeting, no conversation, and just sort of an averted stare

What made it all the worse was that at Gen Con this past weekend, it was the exact opposite. Darrell and Mike were the main demo individuals most of the time and man did they sell the fuck out of the game. They were entertaining, methodical, and incredibly accommodating in their demos and they hustled the crowd, asking for people to step up and play constantly. My brother, who absolutely HATES baseball, is now considering purchasing the game on release. They ran a free Bottom of the 9th World Series event on Friday night that was absolutely terrific fun and, for a game that's not out yet, had a great turnout.

The reason this awesome Gen Con experience made Origins worse is that it seemed like unless the developers are demoing the game, the DHM/GTG team weren't ready to give a crap at Origins. I get it. Gen Con is Gen Con. It's the big one. But that doesn't mean the little guys don't deserve your full effort either, you know? I really love what Dice Hate Me does with most of its games, and I'm glad that they were able to provide a better experience at Gen Con, but that first impression at Origins is going to last for a while. It stings a bit because I live in Columbus, and it's disappointing to see people act like my time isn't worth it because the Con they're currently at isn't Gen Con.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Adrian B AWESOME wrote:
What's odd is I had a very similar experience at Origins. Half the time, the Bottom of the 9th table was unmanned (I was there all 5 days, and walked by well over a few dozen times) and on the few occassions someone was at the table, if I approached and started to look at the game, no one would say a word to me. It was very discouraging. Surprisingly, this attitude seemed to be all over Origins 2015, since I had several experiences at the Fair where I would approach a game or an individual working a booth and would receive no greeting, no conversation, and just sort of an averted stare

What made it all the worse was that at Gen Con this past weekend, it was the exact opposite. Darrell and Mike were the main demo individuals most of the time and man did they sell the fuck out of the game. They were entertaining, methodical, and incredibly accommodating in their demos and they hustled the crowd, asking for people to step up and play constantly. My brother, who absolutely HATES baseball, is now considering purchasing the game on release. They ran a free Bottom of the 9th World Series event on Friday night that was absolutely terrific fun and, for a game that's not out yet, had a great turnout.

The reason this awesome Gen Con experience made Origins worse is that it seemed like unless the developers are demoing the game, the DHM/GTG team weren't ready to give a crap at Origins. I get it. Gen Con is Gen Con. It's the big one. But that doesn't mean the little guys don't deserve your full effort either, you know? I really love what Dice Hate Me does with most of its games, and I'm glad that they were able to provide a better experience at Gen Con, but that first impression at Origins is going to last for a while. It stings a bit because I live in Columbus, and it's disappointing to see people act like my time isn't worth it because the Con they're currently at isn't Gen Con.


Actually, that was Mike and me running demos (Mike most of the time - he's a beast). Darrell typically had other responsibilities.

Like I mentioned above, our booth at Origins is a different beast. I, personally, have to cover about five different slots during the day at the booth, which means I can't always be focused on one spot. We tried our best with the number of volunteers we had, but time and resources were tight.

On the other hand, we had over 70 volunteers to help out with various duties at GenCon.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.