Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Halleran
United States
Monona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is yes to both of these questions:

If you only have two active dice remaining, can you still use the Alchemist to move the pips between those two dice? Or must you have three dice to use him?

After a roll, if you set aside your first saved die (value 6), then from that same roll, can you use my Astronomer and change another die to value 6 and set it aside? You can match a die that you set aside from that same roll?

Thanks, Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
ckhalleran wrote:
I think the answer is yes to both of these questions

YES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes to both questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, except you can't answer yes to both parts of the first 2 question paragraph.

Can you use the alchemist with only 2 active dice remaining?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, to the original 1st and 3rd questions: you can use the alchemist
on just two dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I obviously can't argue the game designer himself but I would have said no in both cases. The rules state that the alchemist shifts pips between 3 active dice. It makes no mention of 2 dice, only 3. This brings up other related questions. What about the nobleman? He adds 2 to any active dice. Does it follow that you can add 1 with him if you want to? As for the astronomer, I expected as per the rules that you only set the active die to the value of an already frozen die. If you don't have any frozen dice then you can't use it yet. If you want to use it after your first role, you would need to freeze one, reroll, then use the astronomer if you didn't happen to roll the value you were looking for. This is a niggly point I know but it does seem proper to me.

Now the game author himself is telling me that my understanding of the rules is all wrong! I can't take it! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The nobleman states that you must add 2 exactly (if I recall, not having the rules in front of me, it goes on to say that his power can't be used on 5's and 6's).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
noisycrow wrote:
The nobleman states that you must add 2 exactly (if I recall, not having the rules in front of me, it goes on to say that his power can't be used on 5's and 6's).

That is what I am saying. Similarly, the alchemist entry specifies in bold text that it applies to 3 active dice. Admitedly, the atronomer entry is more vague so the idea of applying the astronomer without actually having any frozen dice is arguable. I don't see the justification for applying the alchemist to 2 active dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules very strickly in that you:

1) roll your active dice
2) optionally use a single character card to modify the active dice or bring a die into play as an active die
3) put some subset (at least one) of the active dice aside as an atomic action
4) if you have any active dice left goto 1)

By this interpretation you can't use the astromoner to modify a die if you have none yet set aside.

But note that as the astromoner doesn't care what active dice you have, you can always get the same effect by setting a die aside rolling the other die as active and then using the astromoner to change it. Typically if you have a choice of using the astromoner and using some other character to bring a die into play you can always wait until later to use the astromoner. I.e., it is seems always better when collecting N of a kind and you just rolled at least one die of the number you are collecting, to use a character to bring a new die in then to use a character to change a die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Wrayman wrote:
I don't see the justification for applying the alchemist to 2 active dice.

Since this question came up in another thread, I'll repeat the answer here. See the last sentence in page 11, Alchemist rules, Another example: "A player may also move pips from one die to another, like the Philosopher."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.