7 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Deploy order & counter-mix limits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
•• Players are limited to purchasing the number of units and structures provided in the game. A player cannot purchase a unit or building if all of the units or structures of that type are already on the game board.
Most games with a limited countermix allow removing units to build them elsewhere. This rule seems to specifically forbid that in Forbidden Stars. Can anyone find a rule to the contrary...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrythesecond
United Kingdom
Camborne
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
A future player sleeps...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have my copy of the game yet, but if your first paragraph is a direct quote, I don't think there's any room for ambiguity. It doesn't give any conditional exceptions, it clearly states you can't purchase the item.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is precedent in other games. For example, A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition), also published by FFG, has the same rule; you may never voluntary destroy units in that game...if you've hit the limits on either components or your Supply, you just can't muster. So I don't think it's an error; it's a deliberate choice by the designer for this game, and I'm sure it's a result of playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Christgau
United States
Joelton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple reason would be that you could "redeploy" a unit from your back lines (systems) to the front lines if you could voluntarily destroy a unit. Heck, this could get you around a warp storm when there would currently be no legal path to moving a unit. You wouldn't even have to be out of units of that type either if you could destroy/disband them at will.

Since so much effort has to be put into moving units around the board, this would make it too easy. As it stands now, you really have to plan and think about fleet and ground unit movement before placing those orders.

EDIT: just saw the Eldar ability and it does exactly this so that's why no one else can do it. Eldar can redeploy to one friendly planet from anywhere. That's huge once you have all your units out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Vreeland
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trodomir wrote:
A simple reason would be that you could "redeploy" a unit from your back lines (systems) to the front lines if you could voluntarily destroy a unit. Heck, this could get you around a warp storm when there would currently be no legal path to moving a unit. You wouldn't even have to be out of units of that type either if you could destroy/disband them at will.

Since so much effort has to be put into moving units around the board, this would make it too easy. As it stands now, you really have to plan and think about fleet and ground unit movement before placing those orders.

EDIT: just saw the Eldar ability and it does exactly this so that's why no one else can do it. Eldar can redeploy to one friendly planet from anywhere. That's huge once you have all your units out.

Point of fact, it's so huge that they gave the Eldar fewer units to deploy. 3 units may not sound like much but when you have a cap that low being down three means the Eldar are so mobile they would be completely broken at end game otherwise.

Quote:
105 Plastic Units (27 Space Marine, 24 Eldar,
27 Ork, 27 Chaos Space Marine), and 27 Plastic Stands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually you can voluntarily destroy your own units:

Quote:
A player can deploy units in an area in excess of that area’s unit capacity. After resolving the order, he must destroy units of his choice until he is obeying the area’s unit capacity.

This is nothing but destroying your own units.

Also when retreating you can do so via going in a area with too many units so that you have to kill some.

Other than that I found nothing.

I think this is a point for house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aselan wrote:
Actually you can voluntarily destroy your own units:

Quote:
A player can deploy units in an area in excess of that area’s unit capacity. After resolving the order, he must destroy units of his choice until he is obeying the area’s unit capacity.

This is nothing but destroying your own units.

Also when retreating you can do so via going in a area with too many units so that you have to kill some.

Other than that I found nothing.

I think this is a point for house rules.

Yes, this is an important clarification; you may (and must) destroy units to satisfy an area's unit limit, whether that's due to too much Deploying there, too much Advancing there, or too much retreating there. But while the unit limit is satisfied in an area, you can't destroy units just because you'd rather reuse the pieces somewhere else.

I don't think house rules are needed; this is clearly a deliberate choice on the part of the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.