Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lorenzo pettinari
Italy
Fermo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ho! I am really interested in this game.

I only play in 2, how good is this ? Worth buying (it's a bit expensive, I want to be sure) in this case?

Thank you!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Maloney
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend it as a two-player. You should perhaps take this with a grain of salt, because at this point, two-player is the only way I've played it. It seemed pretty clear to the two of us (both veteran gamers) that the game would be better with more players. It seemed as though there were too many cards in the game for just two players. Since each player looks to collect cards in his/her specialty and with one exception, all the other specialties are pointless other than to sell, we spent a lot of time waiting for cards in our specialty to show up on the Newsdesk or Newswire spaces. We speculated that it might be a good idea to reduce the total number of cards used in a two-player game; maybe take out two specialty sets (other colors) so that there isn't as much downtime. I had the Sports (green) newspaper, and there were two or three turns in a row when there were no green specialty cards to select from the two locations. This put me (and my opponent) in continuing situations where there was virtually nothing to do; no place of any strategic or tactical value to place workers. Without cards in your specialty, you can't collect stories, so a good number of available spaces were pointless. Why put a worker in a city if it doesn't have cards to help you. Why keep recruiting if your extra workers don't have any place to go that makes sense.
With more players, more cards are dealt at the beginning of each round and the card decks will turn over more quickly, providing players with more cards in their specialty. This would also increase the likelihood of the 'displacement' action, allowing you to remove someone else's worker from a spot you want to be in (something each of us only did once or twice).
There's a lot going on with this game, and the two of us who played it (yesterday, as a matter of fact) are anxious to get it to the table with four players (plays up to six), so it's not like we didn't enjoy the game. It just seemed that the process doesn't flow right with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SkipM624 wrote:
It seemed as though there were too many cards in the game for just two players. Since each player looks to collect cards in his/her specialty and with one exception, all the other specialties are pointless other than to sell

It looks to me like you've played the game wrong.

You don't just have to collect cards in your speciality. You can hand in a set of ANY colour card to claim a story. The only benefit to you of handing in a set of your own colour is that you get a Speciality bonus worth 3CPs if you use at least two cards in your suit. That is nice but won't win you the game if you only do that!

The number of cards HAS been scaled down to suit the number of players. At the start of each round you draw a number of cards from each deck equal to the number of players. There is no need to leave any out.

Please give it another try with the correct rules - I think you'll find it works with two much better than you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To continue this thread, how does the two player experience differ from 3+? Has anyone played both who can comment here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
icarusmustburn wrote:
To continue this thread, how does the two player experience differ from 3+? Has anyone played both who can comment here?

Well... it's different.

We've enjoyed both. The more players, the more maneuvering on the board you have to do. Even between 3 and 4 players, the difference can be pretty extreme.

Really, the game boils down to three things:

1) Maneuvering on the board;

2) Getting the "suits" that you need to buy stories;

3) Putting it all together.

#3 isn't conditional on the number of players. #1 is important in any # of players, and the board "size" and adjustments seem to cover it adequately. #2 becomes increasingly difficult the more players you add, even with the cards added per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crow
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
SkipM624 wrote:
This put me (and my opponent) in continuing situations where there was virtually nothing to do; no place of any strategic or tactical value to place workers. Without cards in your specialty, you can't collect stories, so a good number of available spaces were pointless.

As noted, you seem to be playing that you can only complete stories in your specialty, which is incorrect.

However, even if you were to play that way, Stringer cards and Morgue cuttings are your friend.

Actually, they are anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.