Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial thoughts without really playing with them:

Patrol Bot: Good and flexible, but not as good as Patrol Mech, even given the lower cost.

Border Fort: See Patrol Bot. Also not as good as Patrol Mech, unless you need the base for an Embassy Yacht or something.

Spike Pod: Excellent. Right up there with Blob Fighter as a top-notch 1-cost card.

Death World: Not so great for its cost.

Cargo Launch: Very good. Not the best 1-cost card, but obviously worth taking when you can.

Star Fortress: Very good. Beefed up Recycling Station.

Customs Frigate: Excellent. Not quite a Megahauler, but close enough for cost 4.

Capitol World: Very good. Not quite up to Command Ship and Brain World. But on par with Blob World and better than Fleet HQ.

Just first impressions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We already played with them a bit, here are my 2 cents here also:

+1 with PB, BF, SF.

SP: yes it's very good, but it can be argued if it - or BF - is "the" top-notch 1-cost card or not (although I tend to buy BF no matter what, or rather to say hate leaving it in the trade row). Its valuation also depends on how much you value scrapping cards from the trade row (which I'm pretty ambivalent about).

CL: there was some dispute in my family about the usefulness of CL. My son and wife agreed that it's almost useless unless you scrap it at the first use. I do not agree with them completely, but they have a point there. CL is obviously "poor man's Survey Ship" which itself seems to be one of the more disputed cards cost/benefit-wise.

CF: as much a I like its single-use Gambit equivalent (Smuggling Run), CF did not prove to be a factor in our games so far (although it's a small sample I must confess). Of course it can give you more than the Gambit card (with ally and scrap), on the other hand the Gambit card is sitting there all the time waiting for that coveted card to appear in the trade row while CF you just hope that there'll be sg useful there when you play it. But given its lower cost (vs Megahauler) I still like it enough.

CW: again, this also caused some disputes between me and my wife+son. They said CW is too strong. I tend to agree with the OP here instead as I think I'd take BW or CS over CW (well, not BW if I already thinned my deck). Although I like Blob World too, especially if I also have Battle Barge devil (and a couple of Blobs, o.c.).

DW: cannot form an opinion as I do not think I've seen it in play yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kolok wrote:
SP: yes it's very good, but it can be argued if it - or BF - is "the" top-notch 1-cost card or not (although I tend to buy BF no matter what, or rather to say hate leaving it in the trade row). Its valuation also depends on how much you value scrapping cards from the trade row (which I'm pretty ambivalent about).

What do you say now about Spike Pod? Have you seen the scrap-from-trade-row light? I seem to remember you wondered whether, when Fleets and Fortresses comes out online, you'd refuse to play me with it enabled, just to avoid my Spike Pods...

Actually, I don't know if Blob Fighter's better. I love them both. A deck with both in is a reason to take them both more often. And at 1 cost, you rarely have to choose between them - take the lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greylag wrote:
kolok wrote:

What do you say now about Spike Pod? Have you seen the scrap-from-trade-row light? I seem to remember you wondered whether, when Fleets and Fortresses comes out online, you'd refuse to play me with it enabled, just to avoid my Spike Pods...

I don't see any kind of light nowadays 'riding' a 4-game losing streak in the league... But was obviously joking when saying the thing above.
To your question itself: yes, I use TR scrap more often but still gives me a lot of headache... sometimes the risk/reward is obvious, sometimes not so much... and it could be also used for making opportunities not just for denial, especially with the Screecher*, but then again the more cards you scrap/flip the higher risks are.

*:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I've just lost a league match where in the back half of the game the TR got completely clogged with expensive cards. I had the upper hand trade-wise but still was not able to buy them. I had a Screecher which I bought primarily for its combat, but also bearing in mind the possibility of having to scrap out those big cards in case my opp gets some more trade cards. My problem was that with each turn the gap btw our A. grew. Up to the point/by the time where we were both forced to stop buying from the TR, my opp's deck was clearly better (more combat+heal). So I don't know maybe there was a time window when I should have just abandoned to rely on putting together that 8 trade, and just flat out should have swept the TR clear...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.