Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
During the game, before the AO awakens, any player whose investigator is devoured has to discard everything EXCEPT unspent trophies. They then draw and set up a new investigator who enters play next turn.

So, does this mean that the player's new investigator "inherits" these trophies and can spend them?

If so, what's the reasoning behind this? Does the new investigator check into the old investigator's room at the boarding house and find a closet full of somewhat disturbing items?? zombie

Just seems sort of odd to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be - maybe that's how the new investigator got wrapped up in all this madness in the first place! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be, but this game is fiction based.

If Ancient Monsters, Spells, all sorts of creatures, Traveling to other dimensions, and artifacts don't put you off, don't see why this would matter much.

Plus I think it just helps the new investigator who have to enter the game half way though a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
We play that the throphies are "left aside", as if they were owned by the group, but not available to be spent. But we like to make our life harder.

The reason, I suppose, is to help to satisfy the "minimum X gate trophies" clause to win (and to offer some extra options to the newcomer).

Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowden Wyatt
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Joe Lansdale Rules!
mbmbmbmbmb
Luke the Flaming wrote:
We play that the throphies are "left aside", as if they were owned by the group, but not available to be spent. But we like to make our life harder.

This was the first thing I thought of doing after reading the rule on devoured investigators. It seems to make sense to me that an investigator couldn't "spend" trophies that they did not earn the hard way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules-wise, it's definitely a boost to the player, not the character. You should keep them to use later.

As far as the storyline, just imagine that the new investigator is a pen-pal of the old one. Have you read The Whisperer in Darkness? Imagine that your new investigator has been receiving letters, diary entries, maybe a strange package from their friend in Arkham. Suddenly the messages stop. Curious, they pack their bags and head to Arkham for some answers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.