Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Hey Ya'll

I have tons of SW:CCG cards from the first set. Tons of cards but none of the powerful character cards like Luke, Vader, Chewie etc.

I was thinking of using my collection to play a buddy of mine. We would only be using my collection and so he would not be bringing any powerful rare cards to the mix.

Is this game any good if you don't have the Luke, Vader cards?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worth playing if you don't have the rare character cards
I liked it a lot, and I never had the main characters, either.

As long as one player doesn't have a deck excessively more powerful than the opponent's deck, it's tons of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

Although I love SWCCG dearly, I'm going to offer a counter-point--to answer your question, no.

Part of the allure of playing the Star Wars CCG is that you are using the characters from the films. Who cares what a random Jawa did on Tatooine?

Also, main characters are flat-out more powerful and completely more efficient than your regular characters.

However, this situation is less of a problem than it was when the game was in production. I have seen tons of Ebay auctions containing main characters going for very low prices. Premiere main characters in particular usually go for pennies, simply due to the fact that later releases were generally more powerful.

So long as you aren't seeking cards from the expansion sets released during the final year of the game's life--which were printed in much shorter quantities than Premiere and other earlier expansions--you guys should have no problems getting main characters very cheaply. I would highly recommend it as it does make the game much more enjoyable when Luke, Han, and Chewie are facing off against Vader and Boba Fett rather than random alien from frame 15 in the Cantina scene squares off against a handful of Stormtroopers and their little Jawa buddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I would get the enhanced premiere packs, then you would have the mains with their toys. They are a ton of fun to play with, and very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robben
United States
Spring Hill
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Worth playing if you don't have the rare character cards
Ill second Jormi's suggestion.
Get those easily acquired cards; main characters with their guns or some of the easier to find rares on ebay of the main characters.
The game is good without them, but GREAT with them. On both sides...
Way back when, I was excited when I got Tarkin on the table and either had vader out or coming soon...
The main characters and ships make this game one of the true greats.
imho, of course

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
loved this game and got good at it. To play seriously you need rares, but if just want to muck around with some friends buy some Death star 2 starters and play. There are virtual cards as well so many non rares are really good now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.