Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Medici vs Strozzi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rule question: Is cash public or private? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Popielski
United States
Brecksville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
I cannot find it explicitly mentioned in the rules if cash is public or private. I believe it would be public, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this question after reading the rules (have not had a chance to play it yet). I would say that money would be open.

Firstly, the fact the a player can get a loan at any time would indicate knowing how much money a player has should not change the value of a lot. If I know my opponent has 10 gold left and I under value the lot and bid 10 on a lot, he can always bid 11 and take loan if he thinks it is worth it. Also, over valuing a lot to "force" a player to take a loan would not work since he can pass and make you pay.

Secondly, "money"/victory points are public in the orginal, multi-player version.

Maybe someone who has played can share their thoughts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
...
badge
...
Avatar
We've played it open without even thinking about it.

As Ed mentioned, you can't take advantage of your opponent being short of money because money is an inexhaustible supply (if only...).

Also, money is easily trackable: you start with 300, then I subtract X whenever you buy some tiles. Even I can track that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matt769 wrote:
I cannot find it explicitly mentioned in the rules if cash is public or private. I believe it would be public, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.


It's probably open. You know how much you have, you know how much the bank has, so a quick calculation can tell you how much your opponent has.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
If I know my opponent has 10 gold left and I under value the lot and bid 10 on a lot, he can always bid 11 and take loan if he thinks it is worth it.


I thought the opponent merely had to match the bid?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe Casadonte wrote:
I thought the opponent merely had to match the bid?


That's the correct way.

We've always played with open money too. There was nothing explicit mentioned in the rules and it never occurred to us to hide it.

James
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
solove wrote:
Joe Casadonte wrote:
I thought the opponent merely had to match the bid?


That's the correct way.

We've always played with open money too. There was nothing explicit mentioned in the rules and it never occurred to us to hide it.

James


We also play with open money. They are easily trackable so there's no reason to play with hidden money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Kramer
United States
Long Beach
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Not to mention that the coins are marked on both sides and each donomiation is a different size in relation to value.

Other than pocketing the coins, how could your cash really be hidden?

I think it's pretty explicit that money is open.

Carl
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.