Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Diez
United States
El Monte
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the name change, are the rules and components identical?
I had always thought TA was an expansion for the ASC, but the wiki says it's just a repackaging without the Milton Bradley labels.

Thanks.

Looking at photos I think the minis are a bit different, more in TA including some hybrids...hmmm...

George
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hart
Scotland
Oban
Argyll
flag msg tools
I was told, by GW staff, that the rules are slightly different. It's more of a basic skirmish game and less tactical or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Tyranid Attack is a very watered down version. The theme is the same. That's about all.

As far as Milton Bradley - they had nothing at all to do with Advanced Space Crusade. They made Space Crusade, which is the least involved of all the games, playable in an hour and targetting the Heroquest crowd.

These are three vastly different games. Really. MB mass marketed Space Crusade, GW made Adv. SC and Tyranid Attack.

Tyranid Attack is the weakest of the three cousins.

Point of weird: Advanced Space Crusade is based on D12s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Azereal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Differences between Tyranid Attack & Advanced Space Crus
It is perhaps not as weird when you consider that Advanced Hero Quest is based on D12s as well (AHQ came out first). It is still very unusual for a GW game.

It is a real pity they didn't keep this in their newer games as it adds an extra level of granularity to the stats which I think is desirable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Azereal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Differences between Tyranid Attack & Advanced Space Crus
It is also worth noting that Space Crusade and Advanced Space Crusade (ASC) are completely different games. The only connection that is apparent is that ASC gives rules for using the Space Crusade miniatures.

Tyranid attack is very similar to ASC. It uses the same miniatures + some miniatures taken from the Space Hulk series. It also uses the same board pieces and many of the same counters.

It uses a new deck of exploration cards that work differently from those in ASC.

Note that Tyranid Attack also includes rules for using the Space Crusade miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
who cares
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Gameplay balance - Advanced Space Crusade is WAY more balanced. Tyranid Attack is utterly unbalanced and a small reflection of how great ASC was.

I would buy ASC over Tyranid Attack if you had the option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
There will never be a real space quest again...
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
TA has you traverse an endless series of boards until you have encountered enough objectives to cripple the ship. ASC has a force layout for both players resulting in a series of separate clashes in an area no greater than 5-6 board sections. I hear ASC is better but the TA concept sounds interesting too. ASCs manual is full of fiddly rule bits which serve to add a lot of flavor (imagine tables for different D12 results depicting somewhat graphically what kind of cocooned prisoner you encounter and what his/her/its affliction is ;-)) but which have rather small impact on gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Crusade is a lower complexity dungeon crawl type game set in the Warhammer 40K universe. Once sold in stores by Milton Bradly.

Tyranid Attack is very similar to Space Crusade, but the setting is a Tyranid Hive Ship. Basic play is less complex than Space Hulk, or Advanced Space Crusade. But, still offers interesting tactical decisions. The game portrays one battle.

The somewhat confusingly named Advance Space Crusade bears no real relation to Space Crusade at all. But, capitalizes on the wider success and exposure of the name "Space Crusade." Instead Advanced Space Crusade is really advanced Tyranid Attack. It has the same theme (Space Marine Scouts invading a Tyranid Hive ship) and uses nearly identical components (boards and many miniatures) But is much more complex, with a more elaborate exploration system, and much more detailed movement and fighting systems. A game of ASC played to conclusion is actually a campaign with multiple battles.

As a gauge of complexity and detail, Space Hulk falls between SC/TA and ASC. One could use any one of the three tactical system in any one of the three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
I am curious, could you buy tyranid attack to start collecting all parts for a complete Adv space crusade?
In other words, are the components that seem the same actually exactly the same? Like board sections and so on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all. Common components are the SAME in both games.

IF you want BOTH games, the easier route is to purchase a complete ASC, and then add the TA rules (Google'em) and exploration cards (ebay or DIY). That's what I did. I also had extra 40K models lying around. I think that covers all bases.

I still say the best of both worlds is ASC campaign system combined with TA's combat system.

NOTE: TA does not include the infamous sphincter doors that come with ASC. Again, I think the easy route is buy ASC, and then find TA's exploration cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
Hey thanks a lot, appreciate it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Wilco
Germany
Braunschweig
NDS
flag msg tools
There will never be a real space quest again...
badge
SQ2 was best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget there were some expansions published in GWs White Dwarf. For TA I think there were carnifex/dreadnought rules and for ASC there was an extra ship section tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daniels
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1..2..3..4..5 necros!?! Impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.