Subject: Rules Questions & Clarifications rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Waido
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
We were wondering if anyone else has purchased this game and has had an opportunity to play it yet enough times to feel comfortable offering some opinions on the rules. We set it up and started to do some mock moves, etc., to make sure we understood the rules and mechanics and discovered we have the following questions and or clarification needs we would appreciate some responses on.

Clarification: We think that an Allied unit tracing supply through a Soviet controlled zone (or a Soviet unit tracing supply through an Allied controlled zone) needs to have a supply counter either in its space or in an adjacent space in order to move or attack. Agree or not? This situation has not come up in our mock moves but we are thinking ahead if it ever does.

Clarification: Supply units have a movement allowance the same as armored units (up to 5 spaces). We can think of two reasons to move a supplu counter, the first is to address the situation above regarding Allied supply lines through Soviet controlled zones, and the other is to avoid being destroyed by the enemy. Agree or not?

Question: The rules say it costs 1 supply unit per naval counter to move a naval counter. We can’t find anything in the rules that require naval counters to ever go back to port. Does it cost 1 supply unit per naval counter per turn to keep that counter “at sea” even thought that counter does not physically “move”? We think that there should be a cost to keep naval counters at sea.

Clarification: We see no rules regarding “Declarations of War” other than the “activation” rules. Thus, there is no prohibition against the Germans attacking the Soviets prior to 1941. We think the only consequence of such an early German attack is the Soviets being able to obtain “Total War” reinforcement cards during their next turn. Agree or not?

Question: After “Total War” reinforcement cards become available, can “Limited War” cards still be selected? We think “yes” is the answer.

Question: The rules indicate that infantry units that move only 1 zone (they can move a maximum of 3) and armor units that move 1 to 3 zones (they can move a maximum of 5) are considered activated for combat and can attack adjacent enemy units. What if an infantry unit moves 2 or 3 spaces, or an armored unit moves 4 or 5 spaces, are they prohibited from attacking adjacent enemy units, or does it just cost more supply for them to attack? We can see this either way. Given the time frame of a turn, maybe an infantry counter moving 2 or 3 spaces, or an armored unit moving 4 or 5 spaces, uses up all the “time” within a turn and cannot attack, or the supply spent on movement does not leave them sufficient supply to attack, so another unit of supply in needed to attack. This, of course, is a critical question to be answered.

Clarification: We understand that only one side can have “Air Superiority” in a combat space. The rules give the side with air superiority a 2 column shift in their favor during combat (attacker to the right OR defender to the left). We also think the 2 column shift is the maximum, in other words, it is not 2 columns for each air counter that is put into the combat space. Agree or not?

Thanks for any responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken,
I just won this game on ebay at a great price. I have not yet set it up or played but I have read the rules. Here are my thoughts.

Concerning Allied and Russian zones. The next to last paragraph in the SUPPLY section of the rulebook states that Allies and soviets can trace defensive supply lines through the other's controlled zones but that in order to move or attack a supply unit must be present in the same zone or in an adjacent zone to the activated units. I take this to mean if you are not attacking you can trace a supply line of any length through the others zones but should you take the offensive and decide to attack you need to have a supply unit in your location or adjacent to your location. Also note that if a Allied unit defeats Germans in Russia any strategic point gained would acrue to Russia not the Allies.

Clarification: Supply units have a movement allowance the same as armored units (up to 5 spaces). We can think of two reasons to move a supplu counter, the first is to address the situation above regarding Allied supply lines through Soviet controlled zones, and the other is to avoid being destroyed by the enemy. Agree or not?

I agree here. You may depending on where enemy units are on the map want to shorten your supply lines so there is less of a chance of having them cut by a nicely placed enemy unit

Question: The rules say it costs 1 supply unit per naval counter to move a naval counter. We can’t find anything in the rules that require naval counters to ever go back to port. Does it cost 1 supply unit per naval counter per turn to keep that counter “at sea” even thought that counter does not physically “move”? We think that there should be a cost to keep naval counters at sea.

Ideally, yes I agree with you. There should be some cost involved there. I think to keep things simple they are ignoring that. The way I read it as long as no movement or combat is sought, then the naval units can stay out at sea indefinitely.

Clarification: We see no rules regarding “Declarations of War” other than the “activation” rules. Thus, there is no prohibition against the Germans attacking the Soviets prior to 1941. We think the only consequence of such an early German attack is the Soviets being able to obtain “Total War” reinforcement cards during their next turn. Agree or not?

I agree with you here and I see nothing further to disallow such an attack. By the way it seems the total war cards would be available to both sides at that point.

Question: After “Total War” reinforcement cards become available, can “Limited War” cards still be selected? We think “yes” is the answer.

I would agree with you and say yes. This would be similar to other similar CDG games like PoG and BtB by GMT games.

Question: The rules indicate that infantry units that move only 1 zone (they can move a maximum of 3) and armor units that move 1 to 3 zones (they can move a maximum of 5) are considered activated for combat and can attack adjacent enemy units. What if an infantry unit moves 2 or 3 spaces, or an armored unit moves 4 or 5 spaces, are they prohibited from attacking adjacent enemy units, or does it just cost more supply for them to attack? We can see this either way. Given the time frame of a turn, maybe an infantry counter moving 2 or 3 spaces, or an armored unit moving 4 or 5 spaces, uses up all the “time” within a turn and cannot attack, or the supply spent on movement does not leave them sufficient supply to attack, so another unit of supply in needed to attack. This, of course, is a critical question to be answered.

I agree. Critical is a good word here. I take this to mean that an armor unit that moves either 4 or 5 zones can move adjacent to an enemy unit but can not attack that turn. Similarly an infantry unit that moves two or three zones can not attack this turn either. Any unit that starts out adjacent to enemy units must be activated at the appropriate cost in supply. ( except those on beachheads ). But you are right here it is important to have the correct answer on this one.

Clarification: We understand that only one side can have “Air Superiority” in a combat space. The rules give the side with air superiority a 2 column shift in their favor during combat (attacker to the right OR defender to the left). We also think the 2 column shift is the maximum, in other words, it is not 2 columns for each air counter that is put into the combat space. Agree or not?

I agree. I would say two columns maximum regardless of how many air counters are there.

Ludic does have a web site and an e-mail address. If you are itching to do so I suppose an e-mail could be sent asking them these very questions. If you receive any response of any kind I would really appreciate if you could post them here. I may be able to break open the game over the Christmas holidays.

Thanks,
Jon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Also !!...Naval movement. If there are enemy naval fleets in a sea area. Does that " block " movement of friendly naval units ??. Since combat is voluntary a rule either way could be...But cannot find anything in the book about that...I assume u-boats cannot block fleet movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Regulski
United Kingdom
LEEDS
ENGLAND
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi there !

I am aiming to play the game with the following interpretations...

all Army corps can move 1 space for FREE, All army attacks cost supply.

Units can move full distance & attack, this costs supply for the move & then for the attack { this also makes keeping track of supply usuage easier because you "spend" as you go, per phase }

Fleets at sea cost 0.5 supply. Wolfpacks cost only 0.5 to move to sea & nothing to maintain.

Fleets moving BACK to port do not cost supply...

I also will add this...With ONE air unit superiority you get ONE column shift. With TWO or more... TWO column shifts.

I also aim to add another Italian fleet unit !!

Cheers

" to hell with any game balance "

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.