Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Sundt
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
www.fictionontheweb.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I didn't realize Chaosmos was so explicitly inspired by William Sleator's Interstellar Pig, a book that gave me recurring nightmares as a child, and still holds up as a creepy sci-fi today.

http://www.geeknative.com/43796/chaosmos-board-game-love-let...

How utterly wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marguerite Cottrell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
getareaction wrote:
Wow! I didn't realize Chaosmos was so explicitly inspired by William Sleator's Interstellar Pig, a book that gave me recurring nightmares as a child, and still holds up as a creepy sci-fi today.

How utterly wonderful.

I was teaching this game the other night and someone at the table looked very concerned for a few rounds. I finally asked him what the trouble was and he said "this game reminds me so much of a book i read as a child, but i can't remember the title"

When i replied, "was it Interstellar Pig?" His face lit up 1000% and we all laughed. He would have been up all night trying to place it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getareaction wrote:

How utterly wonderful.

I backed this game instantly because of this association. Race for the Galaxy and Cosmic Encounter were the closest to Interstellar Pig in terms of boardgaming but Chaosmos obviously takes the cake!

I only wish the author was still alive to give Chaosmos a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maggibot wrote:
getareaction wrote:

How utterly wonderful.

I was teaching this game the other night and someone at the table looked very concerned for a few rounds. I finally asked him what the trouble was and he said "this game reminds me so much of a book i read as a child, but i can't remember the title"

When i replied, "was it Interstellar Pig?" His face lit up 1000% and we all laughed. He would have been up all night trying to place it!

I talked to the designer at Origins, and after I said "So this is like Interstellar Pig?" He looked a little surprised, and said "You are the 4th person today to say that. I never knew the book was that well known." He was actually pen pals with the William Sleator, and even said that Sleator had said one of his inspirations for the book was a strange game he had played while on vacation at Cape Cod. After some talking, they figured out he had played Cosmic Encounter.

The circle is now complete!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that's an awesome anecdote!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Truman Aitken
United States
Seven Hills
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Freitag wrote:
I talked to the designer at Origins, and after I said "So this is like Interstellar Pig?" He looked a little surprised, and said "You are the 4th person today to say that. I never knew the book was that well known." He was actually pen pals with the William Sleator, and even said that Sleator had said one of his inspirations for the book was a strange game he had played while on vacation at Cape Cod. After some talking, they figured out he had played Cosmic Encounter.

The circle is now complete!

My primary (essentially, sole) reason for driving down to Origins was to meet the makers of Chaosmos and acquire it. I was too late for the Kickstarter, which cuts like a knife, but I learned of it because of my occasional nostalgia for Interstellar Pig. I don't even know if I would've fallen so deeply in love with science fiction if not for William Sleator's book. I was one of the only students in my middle school reading class who was excited about having to make our own version of the book's game as an assignment. I showed Joey my beat up, wildly highlighted copy from back then just to prove that I was in the know.

I adore this game. It exceeded my expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.