Here I Stand» Forums » General

Subject: Can this be played with only 2 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really interested in this game, but it's going to be ridiculously hard to find 2 other players for a 6-hour (!) game. My girlfriend and I, on the other hand, could easily find time to play the game over a weekend... but that would require that the game be playable with only 2 players. So, what's the verdict?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Elliott
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and no.

No, the game as designed does not work with only two players.

Yes, the designer is working on a 2-player variant, where only the Protestants and the Papacy are involved. The other powers are abstracted in a clever way. This variant is currently in playtesting (and I've been lucky enough to try it out). So, once this variant is published (probably in GMT's magazine), then Here I Stand will be an excellent game for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Thanks for the inside scoop!

The Protestant/Papacy element was the thing that interested me most about the game, so it's great that the upcoming two-player variant will be focused on that "war."

Is there an estimated release date?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This game has always sounded appealing to me. I don't exactly know why, but given the choice, I would certainly select this card-driven game over one with a more modern setting. But a long multiplayer game is simply a non-starter for me. A 2-player version would definitely put this on my "to purchase" list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The other bonus is that the 2-player variant brings the playing time down under 3 hours.

The variant is now in final form; I just finished the final tweaks over the weekend. I'm going to be putting it out for a final round of playtesting shortly. I'm working with GMT now to see when I can schedule it for publication in their C3i magazine.

I'm setting it up so it doesn't strictly require the magazine for play. It just will be more convenient that way since the magazine will come with 20 special 2-player variant Diplomacy Cards. If you don't have the magazine, you'll be able to substitute unused cards from the regular deck (and just look up their new meaning on a Diplomacy Card chart).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
Outstanding news! This will allow me to actually buy this game and still be able to look my wife in the face, because it means there's actually a prospect that I might play it someday! laugh meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kleve
Norway
Bodoe
Nordland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible to buy just that issue of the C3i magazine separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Jones
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
Karl,

You can always buy single issues of the C3i magazine separately. You dont have to subscribe or anything.

In fact, when GMT list the issue of C3i on their P500 list, if you pre-order you get it at a nicely discounted price and you dont actually pay till close to the publication date.

Allen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I was just about to come and ask about buying the single issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
I'll also be picking up the mag-- but I want it now, now, now!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.