Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Mixed doubles curling added to Winter Olympics rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixed doubles curling has been added to the next Winter Olympics. I hope I'm not the only one excited about this. More bocce-on-ice coverage can't be a bad thing.

I've also never understood why curling was separated by gender. It's the rare sport where one gender has no advantage over the other.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love curling. I don't know why, on paper it sounds so boring. But once you figure out how the scoring works, it becomes a really fascinating game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
erak wrote:
Mixed doubles curling has been added to the next Winter Olympics. I hope I'm not the only one excited about this. More bocce-on-ice coverage can't be a bad thing.

I've also never understood why curling was separated by gender. It's the rare sport where one gender has no advantage over the other.


I can't wait for the husband/wife teams for the US to get out there and start bitching at each other
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! Another event NBC will suck covering if they cover it at all.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank god this cutting-edge, wildly popular sport has been added to the competition, while at the same time, faux "sports" like baseball have been successfully kept from fouling the Summer Games. shake
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Thank god this cutting-edge, wildly popular sport has been added to the competition, while at the same time, faux "sports" like baseball have been successfully kept from fouling the Summer Games. shake


That's only because baseball is incredibly stupid.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Thank god this cutting-edge, wildly popular sport has been added to the competition, while at the same time, faux "sports" like baseball have been successfully kept from fouling the Summer Games. shake


Calling baseball a sport is a stretch. It's more like an excuse to eat a hotdog with friends on a day with nice weather.

devildevil
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel J Isom
United States
Smyrna
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
Send me a geekmail if you'd like to buy a copy!
badge
I have to return some videotapes.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Thank god this cutting-edge, wildly popular sport has been added to the competition, while at the same time, faux "sports" like baseball have been successfully kept from fouling the Summer Games. shake


That's only because baseball is incredibly stupid.


I was just about to post the same thing. Plus, Curling is the #2 national pastime behind hockey in Canada I think. Where's Mabby to verify this?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
Plus, Curling is the #2 national pastime behind hockey in Canada I think.

That it may be, but I suspect there's still a considerable gap in the worldwide participation levels between the two sports.

Look, I have nothing against curling. But the haphazard way in which sports become Olympic events or not, mostly due to internal politics, has always been criminal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
disom wrote:
Plus, Curling is the #2 national pastime behind hockey in Canada I think. Where's Mabby to verify this?


There's probably more people curling in rec leagues and fun leagues than there are hockey players in Canada.
You can curl when you are 65 years old. Hockey is a bit intense for that age.

As for popularity world-wide, the World Curling Federation has about 54 official member nations-- including Brazil, of all places.

I didn't check but I don't know if there are that many official baseball-playing nations.

I think the reason that baseball is kept out of the Olympics is that they have so many other summer sports to compete against. Ones that don't take more than 2 hours to play a single match.

For the Winter games, it's a smaller pool of countries, and a smaller selection of winter sports to choose from.
Curling makes for good TV when the games are well underway. Watching the first four players put up blockers only to have the next team knock them out is a bit dull and repetitive, but when the skips have to throw double take outs or raises to score, it gets pretty tense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:
Look, I have nothing against curling. But the haphazard way in which sports become Olympic events or not, mostly due to internal politics, has always been criminal.

Participation and popularity is one thing, but spectator interest is the driving force.
The IOC were considering Ballroom Dancing and Contract Bridge as Olympic "sports" at one point. I'd certainly choose baseball before either of those, as a spectator.

Ballroom Dancing-- Like we need more corrupt judging panels. I say that if it can't be timed or scored, then get rid of it. I'm looking at you, syncho/ diving/ swimming, and figure skating.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
You can curl when you are 65 years old.


You can start curling at 65, and still enjoy it for many more years.

There was a guy in his 90's in the club I used to curl in, who still curled regularly, and even delivered from the hack! (For non-curlers, that means he delivered the rock like you'll see on TV - crouching down and sliding - as opposed to using a stick to push the rock from a standing position, which is a legal alternative.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:

As for popularity world-wide, the World Curling Federation has about 54 official member nations-- including Brazil, of all places.

I didn't check but I don't know if there are that many official baseball-playing nations.


The IBAF (International Baseball Federation) contains 124 member nations. I agree with all the points you made, however.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
MABBY wrote:
Larry Levy wrote:
Look, I have nothing against curling. But the haphazard way in which sports become Olympic events or not, mostly due to internal politics, has always been criminal.

Participation and popularity is one thing, but spectator interest is the driving force.
The IOC were considering Ballroom Dancing and Contract Bridge as Olympic "sports" at one point. I'd certainly choose baseball before either of those, as a spectator.

Ballroom Dancing-- Like we need more corrupt judging panels. I say that if it can't be timed or scored, then get rid of it. I'm looking at you, syncho/ diving/ swimming, and figure skating.


I read that as Contact Bridge upon first glance and immediately pictured quaint old ladies slapping cards from other players' hands before they could play them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"She fouled me!"

"The old bat took a dive! C'mon ref!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.