Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Allen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
It's dangerous to go alone! Take this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the expansions are not compatible, are the expansion cards marked so you can switch them out easier when moving from one to the other (or if you just want to go back to the base game)?

I thought I might be able to tell by looking at some images, but they don't appear to be in the ones I looked at.

Anyway, thanks for the help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are little squares in the lower left hand corner (one for the first expansion, two for the second etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Little
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Along the bottom of the card is a bar - on the expansion cards there are little tabs sticking out the bottom of the bar that indicate the expansion (1 tab, first expansion, 2 tabs, second expansion, etc). I only have the first three expansions, so I don't know if there is anything different for the second storyline of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Honig
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien artifacts cards have a single yellow mark as opposed to the first arc's 1-3 grey marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Andarel wrote:
Alien artifacts cards have a single yellow mark as opposed to the first arc's 1-3 grey marks.

Nicely consistent with the game's iconography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
example of tick marks in lower left hand corner...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some images with single cards, one from each released set.

Base game:

First arc (Descent into War). The Gathering Storm, Rebel vs Imperium, The Brink of War:

Second arc (Alien Artifacts):

And the forthcoming expansion:

Edit - beaten to it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Allen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very awesome. Noticeable, organized, yet totally out of the way. I appreciate all the pics.

I've played Roll once and it was fine. Didn't blow me away. I seem to be completely in the minority, but Race looks much more down my alley. Was thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see what the rabbit hole looked like before I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hamrick
United States
Rocky Mount
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played "Roll" twice; but, like you, I much prefer "Race."

Matt12 wrote:
Very awesome. Noticeable, organized, yet totally out of the way. I appreciate all the pics.

I've played Roll once and it was fine. Didn't blow me away. I seem to be completely in the minority, but Race looks much more down my alley. Was thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see what the rabbit hole looked like before I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt12 wrote:
I seem to be completely in the minority, but Race looks much more down my alley. Was thinking about picking it up, but wanted to see what the rabbit hole looked like before I did.

You can view all the cards on line:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88325388/rftgpics/index....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt12 wrote:
Since the expansions are not compatible...

Really? I thought you could just continue adding to the card pool with each of the expansions? That would be really disappointing if I can't play them all together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlow00 wrote:
Matt12 wrote:

Really? I thought you could just continue adding to the card pool with each of the expansions? That would be really disappointing if I can't play them all together.

You can do anything you want with the games/expansions that you've purchased.

However, Tom spent a lot of time balancing so that each arc of the expansion works independently, but not necessarily together.

Honestly, I'd guess many players will be happy mixing them all together. At least part of the reason for splitting them was so the card pool stays manageable so that there's a reasonable chance of getting good combos. With a bigger pool, it's more likely that some players would hit combos while others didn't. For casual play, I don't think it's critical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlow00 wrote:
Matt12 wrote:

You can play The Gather Storm, Rebel Vs Imperium, and Brink Of War Together, with the latter most requiring the former 2.

Alien Artifacts is its own thing. FWIW, there's an orb scenario that's kind of interesting if you can get folks to play it.

Xeno Invasion that's coming up will be its own arc too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morlow00 wrote:

You can if you like, but it will probably be better not to. The recommended formats are:

Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm (TGS)
Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium (RVI)*
TGS + RVI
TGS + RVI + Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War
Race for the Galaxy: Alien Artifacts (AA)
Race for the Galaxy: Xeno Invasion (XI) (which isn't yet out)

* Note that RVI on it's own didn't receive as much play-testing as TGS + RVI since they assumed most people would play TGS + RVI.

The designer wrote a detailed post describing why it's a bad idea to mix the 4 currently released expansions. I would expect most of these reasons to apply to the upcoming XI too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Xeno Invasion that's coming up will be its own arc too.

Though unlike AA there is a possibility of another expansion in this arc, thought there is not currently anything planned (source)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knapp
United States
Yellowstone National Park
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok that makes sense. Being able to play the first 3 expansions together is still pretty good, and it sounds like Alien Artifacts is really different than the other expansions so it needs to be played on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Allen
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, I was bummed also the expansions couldn't be played together, but after more plays of the base game, I find myself not upset about it. The base is so incredibly broad and balanced that I trust there must be excellent reasons the set-up is this way. Also, when you consider the ways you can put the expansions together, you've pretty much got endless gameplay anyway.

Secondly, I should say after all these extra plays of Race, I went back and played Roll again and found I loved it. Much more familiar with the world and the mechanics of the gameplay (even though they're not identical), Roll sang for me like Race does. Do I still like it less than Race? Yes. But I absolutely love Race, so that still leaves Roll on some pretty high ground.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.