Subject: Starting my new storage solution. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, it's official now that we will get at least one (and maybe even more) new factions, I started thinking about possible storage solutions.

I somewhat both love and hate this part, but being an expansion junkie I can't avoid this issue (hello, X-Wing...).

My guidelines are:

1. Cheap. Really, Plano boxes are cool but waaay to expensive here in germany. I'd really like to spend money for my hobby, but each tool box I buy cuts my funds for actual boardgame. Honestly, I hate it.

2. Cheap.

3. Modular. Nothing more annoying than finishing an elaborate foamcore insert two days before the announcement of a new expansion (hello, Robinson Crusoe).

4. Cheap.

5. Protective. My most beloved game miniatures are painted. And since those minis already have to endure being played with by 2-years-, 5-years-, and 7-years-old I like to keep them protected when stored. And I like to sleeve cards and keep them safe, too.

6. Easy to build. I don't have access to a laser cutter or a 3d printer, and I'm not that good a wood working. I like elegant solutions made of cardstock (and sometimes foamcore).

7. Nice looking. Doesn't have to be much (less is more), but pure foamcore for example doesn't please my eyes.

8. Did I mention cheap (FFG already gets a significant amount of my paycheck)?

tl;dr
Did some tuckboxes for painted Battlelore minis:

More like v0.9, going to change the lid (see below)

Sturdy, compact, protective, cheap, easy-to-build, fancy looking (at least for me), what more?

More boxes will follow once the minis are painted (might take a while). Should anybody want to build this, too, bother me, I can make a download version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered looking for candy boxes with sections (the kind that high quality chocolates often come in)?

Not only might they provide affordable storage, but emptying them for game use is very pleasurable in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Schepers
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
Have you considered looking for candy boxes with sections (the kind that high quality chocolates often come in)?

Not only might they provide affordable storage, but emptying them for game use is very pleasurable in itself.

Yeah, right, only problem is that this would mean looking for a new storage solution for myself sooner or later...

Joking aside, that would take away all the fun designing and building my own boxes! Not to mention the satisfaction I get by looking at a pathetic pile of paper, ink and glue. A surprisingly fullfilling task.

But you're welcome to show any results of your experiments in that area. Talking of empty boxes, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb

I want chinese food now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Lanza
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
black and yellow, black and yellow
badge
Staring right back at you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, awesome!

I love your boxes for Armada, and having them for BattleLore will be great.

Thanks so much for doing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.