Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Before this thread gets labelled as another negative one comparing Combat Commander (which I haven't played yet) to some other game, let me say that I am just asking an hosest question.

Chad,

What was the reasoning and thought behind the creation of the maps and not making them geomorphic? I understand how each map has it's 5 objective locations. But I'm sure there is more to it than that, I'm just curious.

One of the appealing things to me about this game (and a reason I preordered it) is the ability to create random scenarios and high replayability. With that in mind, it seems like geomorphic maps would lend themselves well to accomplishing this goal.

Again, I'm not criticizing, especially because I haven't played the game yet. But just looking through some of the graphics and photos of the game the question came to mind, and I thought I'd ask.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

I thought I'd take a partial crack at your question (although the only satisfying answer will come from either Chad or Kai or both).

The chosen scenarios provide a very wide range of environments for the maps. Unlike geomorphic maps which in many cases MUST work with one another, the CC maps stand alone and are quite varied. I believe you'll find that you have a huge amount of replay options with the random scenario generator plus the available maps.

Thanks for expressing your interest in the game!

Regards,
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Colin,

As John alluded to, non-geomorphic maps actually give you MORE options as far as varied terrain goes because you don't have to hardwire in "woods always goes in hexes D1 and J1; road in hex G1; etc." I can have one entire edge of a map be the crest of a hill or the center of a river or whatever else I deem appropriate for the scenario being designed.

[as an aside: each of the CC maps is customized for the historical scenario in the Playbook that utilizes it while still retaining enough generic-ness to work for any number of design-your-own scenarios]

But by far the biggest reason why the maps aren't geomorphic is because every CC scenario - whether published or roll-your-own - is played on a single 150-hex map. You never play on more than one map at a time so geomorphism is simply irrelevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
But by far the biggest reason why the maps aren't geomorphic is because every CC scenario - whether published or roll-your-own - is played on a single 150-hex map. You never play on more than one map at a time so geomorphism is simply irrelevant.

But you could build that 150-hex map by combining smaller, geomorphic components. I also think it's not really necessary that geomorphic components all have roads (for example) at exactly the same exit points, so that they all mesh together. You can have a variety, so that some fit together with others, and then construct maps from the combinations that work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things Chad didn’t mention is there are a lot of things that can happen in this game. The cards you use while playing have hex numbers listed on them which allows certain randomness for each event that may occur. The cards won’t be able to handle a change in number of hexes. Could Chad have used smaller game boards that could be arranged and put together to make a set size, yes but as Chad has said then you lose the ability to create a map that you can’t have with geomorphic map boards. And you have to remember that the game is coming with 12 maps I believe, that’s more than any other tactical game I know of. With all of the events that can happen in this game I think I can honestly say no two games will every play the same so replay ability is very high.

It’s been some time since I’ve played this and I hope I didn’t step on any toes with Chad, just trying to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This design integrates space and time differently than I've seen before in other tactical games. The unique elements of this integration impose certain restrictions (such as 150-hex maps) that seem to cause people who have not played the game to pause a bit. When I saw how tightly connected the cards are with space, time and decisions in the game, I was really impressed. I know I'm looking forward to what you all think when you've played. No game is everyone's cup of tea, of course, however, I think many if not most of you will really have a ball playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Lewis
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for some of the explanations. I am not concerned about replayability or being confined to single map scenarios, but understanding why the game was made the way it was helps us (me) to understand the game better I think.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Colin, study the Fate card decks when you get them - you'll see that the sets of cards and the maps are completely aligned: random hexes for both sides, dice triggers, and results distributions. That will explain a key component of the design. And um, it works! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koens
United States
Watsonville
California
flag msg tools
badge
marks the spot.
mbmbmbmbmb
On an unrelated note...

How close are y'all to shipping on this? Any idea?

-champing at the bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mobley
Australia
Melbourne (Ringwood)
Victoria
flag msg tools
No really, I have never designed a boardgame!
badge
Spin, spin, spin.
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the latest GMT News. P500 orders start shipping on December 18th. (Will it make it to Oz before Christmas - fingers crossed).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael, I'm just curious... how long does it usually take for things to ship from California to Oz?
~Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Spangler
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think California IS Oz...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think California IS Oz...!

Dear GMT:

Please ship Mr. Spangler's copy of CC:Europe last.

Sincerely,
Chad of California

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kostek
United States
Camano Island
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FWIW, I support the decision to design maps specifically for scenarios rather than geomorphic. I think it's a better idea to have a set of well crafted scenarios with a little less map variety than to have a lot of map variety with inferior scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mobley
Australia
Melbourne (Ringwood)
Victoria
flag msg tools
No really, I have never designed a boardgame!
badge
Spin, spin, spin.
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:
Michael, I'm just curious... how long does it usually take for things to ship from California to Oz?
~Kai

Better late than never!

By air - about 7 to 10 days (although I think I've had things in 5 days)

By sea - 2 to 3 months

I used to get everything by sea due to the huge cost of air freight - but then decided I just couldn't wait that long. And GMT freight charges are quite reasonable, a fair play games order I had was games $154 shipping $84 (sea) - it was out of print stuff, what can I say (please don't tell my wife).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.