Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michal Walczak-Slusarczyk
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game language independent or not? I know there are cards with german text on them but how many? how often do you use them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus seems to be that there is a lot of German text on the cards. However, because they are all open, if everyone has a cheat sheet explaining the text, it doesn't affect the game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Mangiarano
Italy
Castellana Grotte
(BA)
flag msg tools
Use the force
badge
Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 26 cards (10 event cards, 16 advantage cards) language dependent.
The Advantage Cards are always a public information, so no problem to translate them for everyone.
The Event card is shown pubblically at the start of the second phase every turn (totally 6 times) so also in this case no problem.

There's an advantage card that allow a player to see event cards before they come in play... The player who earns this kind of advantage is the only one has to translate a single event card every turn not pubblically.

pino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
The previous posters have explained the cards which are dependent. There are also the spaces on the board, although you can use the numbers instead of the text.

I don't speak German, but I don't mind playing our version of Louis XIV, I have played a German version of this and it is quite playable with translations and/or paste ups. That said, I won't be buying a German version I will be waiting for an English version instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
uiek wrote:
Is this game language independent or not? I know there are cards with german text on them but how many? how often do you use them?

No, it's not language independent, but it's not too bad.

10 event cards - but only six will enter the game. You flip one up, can quickly tell if it's good or bad by looking for the read seal icon, then find the translation. This isn't a big deal as the effect is immediate.

16 advantage cards - the same 2 of these always enter the game on the final turn, so you quickly get used to these. Of the remaining 14, 10 random cards will enter each game. This isn't a big deal either, as you read out what they do when they are revealed so everybody knows.

The other issue is the board - there is a little bit of German there too, but you quickly learn what each area does.

I didn't have a problem with the German on the cards, but I remember the good old days when games like Svea Rike had to be dealt with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Walczak-Slusarczyk
Poland
Cracow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big thanks to all of you! Now I know that have to look carefully on this title

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Alexander
United States
St. Augustine
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up the game and have had no trouble whatsoever. I made mini reference tokens with the translated text that I drop on the cards as soon as they enter play. It adds 1-2 minutes to the total game time, and after 2 plays we've already started to memorize about half the cards.

So while some on here complain about the german cards, if you put a little work into it you can compensate very easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Slater
United Kingdom
Newport
Newport, South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just finished sticking the paste ups on the cards (you can find it in the files section)

The lables on the cards work pretty well, and should make things flow a bit better.

I have not but the sticker lables on the board, and my girfriend aggrees, it was too beautiful a board to go sticking lables on, so Im going to make a "Legend" sidebar for translation of the board.

Next job it to read the rules and get a game going

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
I didn't have a problem with the German on the cards, but I remember the good old days when games like Svea Rike had to be dealt with
What's so hard about Svea Rike? I understood every single word in that game without looking up anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.