JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state the following regarding revealing Hit Markers:

AtB Rulebook 2nd Edition, under 7.5 Hits wrote:
A player only needs to reveal a Hit Marker to his opponent when the hit unit’s affected stats are used in play. In such a case, he shows the marker to his opponent and then places the marker back under the hit unit.

Now, does the player put the Hit Marker under the unit face up, or face down? In other words, does the Hit Marker become common knowledge, so to speak, after it has been revealed once? Or is it put face down again and the opponent must rely on his memory on which unit has which Hit Marker (until it must be revealed again)?

I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule is that the Marker is no longer secret at all after revealing it, but you could argue either way. Therefore, I think it might be a good idea to add "face up" (or "face down" if that is the case) to the latter quoted line on the next edition of the rules. I think that would be enough to make the rule clear enough that you really cannot speculate on it anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC you only need to reveal the relevant part of the hit marker, so it makes sense to place it back face down.
Example: If the hit marker gives you a defense bonus that changes a hit to a miss you have to reveal the "defense" corner, but not the rest. Sometimes this makes it obvious (to the experienced player) what kind of hit marker it is, but not always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We just reveal them completely and leave them revealed, it's just easier that way and that's how I interpret the rules anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PunTheHun wrote:
IIRC you only need to reveal the relevant part of the hit marker --

I haven't seen anything like this mentioned at least in any of the official rules. Maybe you got this confused with the 'when' part (when you need to reveal the counter, see the rule quote on my first post).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you reveal a hit marker, the entire hit marker is revealed, and remains revealed and is common knowledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Felkor wrote:
Once you reveal a hit marker, the entire hit marker is revealed, and remains revealed and is common knowledge.
That was how we played it as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob K
United States
Frontenac
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of unknown enemy morale, since it adds a bit of realism to the game. You wouldn't necessarily know that a squad in the treeline 50 yards away is panicked, berserk, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definately agree, I think it is one (of many) of the strong points in the system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monemvasia
Greece
flag msg tools
norev wrote:
The rules state the following regarding revealing Hit Markers:

AtB Rulebook 2nd Edition, under 7.5 Hits wrote:
A player only needs to reveal a Hit Marker to his opponent when the hit unit’s affected stats are used in play. In such a case, he shows the marker to his opponent and then places the marker back under the hit unit.

Now, does the player put the Hit Marker under the unit face up, or face down? In other words, does the Hit Marker become common knowledge, so to speak, after it has been revealed once? Or is it put face down again and the opponent must rely on his memory on which unit has which Hit Marker (until it must be revealed again)?

I'm pretty sure the intent of the rule is that the Marker is no longer secret at all after revealing it, but you could argue either way. Therefore, I think it might be a good idea to add "face up" (or "face down" if that is the case) to the latter quoted line on the next edition of the rules. I think that would be enough to make the rule clear enough that you really cannot speculate on it anymore.

From the update pdf rules v25

7.4 Hits
When an un-hit unit takes a hit, its player draws a Hit Marker
and, without revealing it to his opponent, places it face down
under the unit that has been hit.

A player only needs to reveal a Hit Marker to his opponent
when the hit unit’s affected stats are used in play. In such a
case, he shows the Hit Marker to his opponent and then places
the Hit Marker back face down under the hit unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.