Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking at 8.12 (Chapter S) and table A3a. I am not sure how others play this. Let me pick an example and see how others conduct this.

It is the ENEMY Final Fire Phase. An ENEMY squad (4-4-7) is ready to fire, The ENEMY squad did not panic (per 6.12). It now rolls on the ENEMY attack table (A3a). There are two FRIENDLY squads (4-5-7 and 6-4-8) in different hexes at long range (6 hexes). One (4-5-7) is in a wooden building (TEM +2), the other (6-4-8) is brush (TEM +0). There is also a (4-5-8) squad and a (9-1) leader at range 7 in open ground. Those are the only Targets. None of the Targets are in a VPO location and all are Known.

OK the roll is 4,1 (i.e. 5). Conditions are:

1- Fire all FP at closest Target in a VPO Location;
2- at closest Known Target;
3- Location with most Known Targets;
4- least TEM;
etc...

What is the correct way to interpret 8.12?

A: Test #1 produces no targets and the priority list is abandoned in favor of a random assignment.

B: Test #1 produces no targets, proceed to test #2 which produces two targets, proceed to test #3 which produces the same two targets (ignoring the 4-5-8 and leader as they weren't called out in test #2), proceed to test #4 which produces one Target, the 6-4-8 in brush.

C: Test #1 produces no targets, proceed to test #2 which produces two targets, proceed to test #3 which calls out one target the 4-5-8 and leader (ignoring the tie in test #2).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's B. Once you have targets, you're trying to winnow the list down to one. The example seems to be doing it that way as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. I read the example accompanying 8.12 a couple more times to see if I missed anything. The example is very non-specific and one could justly say that any of the interpretations given above (A-C) could be correct. The example never really addresses the null situation and doesn't say whether it is paring down the choices once potential targets are selected or if you proceed on to the next criteria with no memory.

That said, I think option B feels like the best one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bales

Indiana
msg tools
mb
drmark64 wrote:
Thanks David. I read the example accompanying 8.12 a couple more times to see if I missed anything. The example is very non-specific and one could justly say that any of the interpretations given above (A-C) could be correct. The example never really addresses the null situation and doesn't say whether it is paring down the choices once potential targets are selected or if you proceed on to the next criteria with no memory.

That said, I think option B feels like the best one.

I'm late, but I struggle with some of these cases as well. As far as my play goes, when I advance to the next option I disregard (i.e., no memory of the previous options) the previous options as null and void. Irregardless, your "B" case would be my target as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Wawrosch
United States
Brimfield Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
What is the correct way to interpret 8.12?

Read the page S1 definition of the "Priority List",

"Priority List: A list of options used to determine, by the process of elimination, the precise action taken by an ENEMY unit: e.g., each Fire Command contains a Priority List used to select the Target when > one Target exists. Each item in the list is used to progressively narrow down the unit's options. If, by the end of the List, a decision has not been reached make a Random dr for selection. See 6.311/7.1/8.12/9.22 for EX of Priority Lists."

The "process of elimination and "narrow down" emphasizes are mine. The last sentence covers the null state. One goes down the list until a case applies and then if necessary, considers further cases to define the unique action required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.