Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had an offsite work meeting yesterday. They ensured that no one who worked closely together sat at the same table. There were about 8 tables with 8-10 people on each. There was a pretty poor icebreaker which didn't really work as team mates ended up mingling together.

I'm thinking that for the next offsite we could use board/card games as an icebreaker or team building exercise. Something which lasts somewhere between 30-60 minutes, assuming again that there are 8-10 people per table.

I pretty sure everyone else is a non-gamer. If it helps, we all work in the marketing operations department (i.e. NOT the area that comes up with the marketing concepts).

Co-op, party, social deduction might work, but any ideas out there; or examples of games that have gone down well in similar situations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically, you want ice breakers to do more than just break the ice - you want people to have fun, feel included, get to know each other, make some social connections. There may be a game out there that does that, but I don't know what it is.

I'd suggest making your own Bingo cards, one per table/team with the squares having icebreaker type things in them such as:
1) Owns more than 5 pets
2) Has run more than 5 miles (at once)
3) Visited 3 or more continents
4) Has been employed here more than 20 years
5) Has never had a broken bone
6) etc.

Just be somewhat careful on the questions, so that you don't make anyone feel awkward ("Is older than 65", "weighs more than 200 pounds", "has never been married", "been married more than 3 times", ...).

Give each table 20-30 minutes to discuss the statements, then write the person's name in the square if the statement is true for them. Maybe say each person can only fill in one square.

I know it's not a game recommendation, but I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Oppedisano
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawk6 wrote:
Typically, you want ice breakers to do more than just break the ice - you want people to have fun, feel included, get to know each other, make some social connections. There may be a game out there that does that, but I don't know what it is.

I'd suggest making your own Bingo cards, one per table/team with the squares having icebreaker type things in them such as:
1) Owns more than 5 pets
2) Has run more than 5 miles (at once)
3) Visited 3 or more continents
4) Has been employed here more than 20 years
5) Has never had a broken bone
6) etc.

Just be somewhat careful on the questions, so that you don't make anyone feel awkward ("Is older than 65", "weighs more than 200 pounds", "has never been married", "been married more than 3 times", ...).

Give each table 20-30 minutes to discuss the statements, then write the person's name in the square if the statement is true for them. Maybe say each person can only fill in one square.

I know it's not a game recommendation, but I hope this helps.

you forgot: 7) Plays board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Concept. Good for thinking about the essence of things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy
Gearworld: The Borderlands

Oh wait you want to teambuild/icebreak not icebuild/teambreak

On a more serious note:
Dixit
Apples to Apples

Both allow you to get to know each other's personalities and communication styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think party games in general are what you're looking for, as they're usually a breeze to explain and usually revolve around asking questions, talking, or yelling things out.

Something like Taboo (if you want something more fast/loud) or Spyfall (if you want something more slow/thinky) could work. There's a free online version of Spyfall as well, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.