p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Zapped by the Wall-o-Text spell.
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Since everybody seems so eager--and yet reluctant--to discuss the future of wargaming, how 'bout the past instead?

I once described my wargaming past in this GeekList. But we don't want this thread to be as overblown as that list, so here's a question for you:

What's one thing (well, two, if you must) that you fondly remember from your wargaming past but don't expect to ever experience again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one I just discovered seconds ago (strangely, the billboard has my name on it). It's from before my time, though (I was only three then and wouldn't get into wargaming for another ten years).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And here's one I do fondly remember. Poring over this flyer for hours on end, I envisioned the lifelong hobby I'm still enjoying today. I don't expect to ever again experience the newness and wonder of it all. I've grown much too jaded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
What's one thing (well, two, if you must) that you fondly remember from your wargaming past but don't expect to ever experience again?

Seeing an SPI wargame for the first time, back when I was a teenager. (Some school friends on a weekend trip had brought Invasion America and StarForce along. My mind became expanded. I remember sitting on a balcony reading the StarForce rules and thinking "This is cool!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish wargames still got bill boards today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a game of Third Reich non-stop one weekend, and watching the sun rise,,, twice. I have neither the stamina nor the... uh, "substances" to pull that off again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Maybe a series of 'em, like the Burma-Shave billboards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:

Or appeared as large ads on trams, like an abstract strategy game...

(I took this photo in 2007. Normally I do not see any boardgame get this kind of giant ad!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going over to my friends' house on a Saturday morning to play the newly acquired game of Wooden Ships & Iron Men (or whatever Avalon Hill game someone might have gotten that week). I just don't have the time or a group that I can do that with anymore.

Cheers,
Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Patrick Carroll"]Here's one from before my time (I was only three that year), which I just discovered seconds ago (strangely, the billboard has my name on it):

Did you just now discover you were born in 1955?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thrill of actually getting giddy when I made enough money to purchase a brand new game of 'insert title here' working minimum wage as a kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting together with my high school wargame buddy when each new S&T issue and game came from SPI (early 70s). We had bought out another guy's sub, and shared it. The first day (Saturdays) one would read the mag, one the rules, then we would play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
The excitement I felt of discovering SPI and other wargame companies back in 1998 when I started my first job that gave me actual significant disposable income. Digging through all those old games on the internet and looking through old issues of The General and tracking down those games was a lot of fun. cool I remember fondly scoring an UP copy of Peloponnesian War and completing the Fleet series (I had found Sixth Fleet at a flea market in NC back in 1990) and snagging many other games that still reside in my collection.

With all the internet information (and BGG ) I know I will never again have that raw massive energy that accompanied suddenly discovering all these cool wargames and saying, "Hey, I can actually buy that!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game of PanzerBlitz, when it debuted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coming home every day in breathless anticipation of whether the new issue of S&T had arrived.

Finishing a game of Anzio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
And here's one I do fondly remember. Poring over this flyer for hours on end, I envisioned the lifelong hobby I'm still enjoying today. I don't expect to ever again experience the newness and wonder of it all. I've grown much too jaded.

Man I remember doing the same thing with these little flyers. Battle Of The Bulge '65 was my first wargame (still have it) and the excitement of playing it is something I'll never quite feel again. Pure joy, imagination running full tilt...I thought I was there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dune Tiger
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my first game of Axis and Allies. It was a week-long event, but the war inevitably ended by that unstoppable force of "Friend's mom wants her coffee table back." I don't even remember learning anything in school that week. Whole brain was stuck on A&A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Although many of the S&T magazine games I got weren't great, I always enjoyed getting them because they'd open my mind to new concepts/ideas that I hadn't seen in previous games. I'm an inveterate 'tinkerer' with games, and so it was always a delight find something that made me go "I wonder how that would effect things if I were to port that system over to this other game..." Unfortunately, with the internet and sites like BGG & CSW, I can now read about new concepts/ideas without having to actually get the physical game, so that sense of excitement/enlightenment no longer has quite the same level of tactile delight that it once did when I'd get my issue of S&T in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moron Tom wrote:
First game of PanzerBlitz, when it debuted.

I had to beg and plead to get my friend to play PB. I was impressed with the novelty of it and the up-close tactical action. He just thought it was more complicated than it was worth.

Images like the one above still take me back, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
That's a Palm Pilot on the left, and a pink iPod mini on the right. Yes, I've been doing BGTG that long!
badge
http://www.WargamesToGo.com
mbmbmb
Introduced to the original microgame Ogre in junior high school (1978), I looked through the tiny inventory at our local hobby store to buy my own. It was mostly filled with styrafoam shapes for silk flower crafting, doll heads, and other non-wargamey stuff. (Though this WAS where I shopped for plastic aircraft models, too, so it had that.)

I ultimately decided to spend the extra buck on G.E.V., and it's led to 37 years in the hobby...so far! The thing I don't expect to experience again is making my own homebrew alternate counters using Shrinky Dinks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lunga wrote:
Man I remember doing the same thing with these little flyers. Battle Of The Bulge '65 was my first wargame (still have it) and the excitement of playing it is something I'll never quite feel again. Pure joy, imagination running full tilt...I thought I was there!

Wish I still had my original copy of Bulge. I have two copies now, but they're both used copies from somebody else.

I played a solo game in 2010, the fortieth anniversary of when I first played it. It's still a great game. And yeah, it sure brings back memories.

One of my memories (as I've probably said too often in BGG) is of playing Bulge '65 with my dad, who had fought at Bastogne in 1944-45. We played just that once (in 1970, I think), but of course it sticks in my mind. And that wargaming experience is one I'll never have again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
#1) Seeing wargames in stores.

#2)Playing Star Fleet Battles before it expanded and became a bloated mess. Great, great game. Nothing quite like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyer Farms green onion flavor potato chips!

It was tradition that the invited parties would bring the chips. They had to be Troyer Farms green onion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
Troyer Farms green onion flavor potato chips!

It was tradition that the invited parties would bring the chips. They had to be Troyer Farms green onion.

And you can't get those anymore?

For me and my wargaming friend Lenny, in high school, it was iced tea (Lipton or Nestea powdered, lemon-flavored tea) and soda crackers (saltines).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1955? I was hoping this thread would be about old games. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.