Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Space Dealer» Forums » Rules

Subject: 2 Questions about filling demand at neutral planets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When filling demand at the neutral planets the rules say that you replace the filled demand card with a new face up demand card. Does this allow a player who is lucky and has the right cubes for the new card to simply claim it as well? What if the player then has the capacity to claim a third card? Does the player claim that one as well? We played a game this way and it lead to relatively few deliveries being made to the other players homeworlds. This seems right per the rules but we all felt it hurt the game.

A second question. The rules say that the demand cards on the neutral planets can be satisfied following the normal rules. The normal rules require the player to place a victory point marker on a card when the demand is filled. Do you have to place victory point markers on neutral planet cards when you fill the demand cards there? We played that you did not, but now I am rethinking this...

Thanks for your thoughts!

--Kevin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kevtor wrote:
When filling demand at the neutral planets the rules say that you replace the filled demand card with a new face up demand card. Does this allow a player who is lucky and has the right cubes for the new card to simply claim it as well?


That is how we read the rules.

kevtor wrote:
A second question. The rules say that the demand cards on the neutral planets can be satisfied following the normal rules. The normal rules require the player to place a victory point marker on a card when the demand is filled. Do you have to place victory point markers on neutral planet cards when you fill the demand cards there?


I thought it explicitly stated that you did. In any event, that is how we played it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurutej Khalsa
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this game at a convention in Germany. Learned from the publisher.

Quote:
When filling demand at the neutral planets the rules say that you replace the filled demand card with a new face up demand card. Does this allow a player who is lucky and has the right cubes for the new card to simply claim it as well? What if the player then has the capacity to claim a third card? Does the player claim that one as well?


That is all correct. You can keep right on collecting the cards as long as you can fulfill them. Note that if two or more ships are sitting at the planet and more than one can fulfill the replacement card, you must bury at the bottom of the stack and redraw.

Quote:
We played a game this way and it lead to relatively few deliveries being made to the other players homeworlds. This seems right per the rules but we all felt it hurt the game.


I've only played twice with this variant and we never saw this, but perhaps... It seems like you would need to get sort of lucky with your cubes which we generally had EXACTLY allocated to a player's needs. You would eventually end up with useless cubes and have to head home. And the points on the neutral cards are less than at player's planets. Seems odd that this would be soooo attractive.

Quote:
Do you have to place victory point markers on neutral planet cards when you fill the demand cards there?


No. You just place the card face down in front of you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. I guess it was attractive to people because it required a shorter journey and did not give any points to any other player. I will be trying it again with the rules as they are intended to see if the experience changes.

Here is another question. What happens when the game ends? I sort of figured that the game just stopped, but the English rules say that at the end of the game active timers are utilized in the usual way. What difference could this make?

Thanks again for your thoughts on this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kevtor wrote:
Here is another question. What happens when the game ends? I sort of figured that the game just stopped, but the English rules say that at the end of the game active timers are utilized in the usual way. What difference could this make?


I assume ships still flying when the game ends could still deliver. Also, I suppose sabotage cubes could be placed on running timers too.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gurutej Khalsa
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
kevtor wrote:
Here is another question. What happens when the game ends? I sort of figured that the game just stopped, but the English rules say that at the end of the game active timers are utilized in the usual way. What difference could this make?


I assume ships still flying when the game ends could still deliver. Also, I suppose sabotage cubes could be placed on running timers too.


That is right. Basically a last chance for deliveries. This can make a BIG difference if your fully loaded ship is a few seconds away from fullfilling the requirements of a couple of cities when the main game time runs out.

I suppose, in theory, manufacturing things might also be relevant for trading with an opponent at your planet (for perhaps a mutual win...?).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gonzalez
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies. That clears up several things about the game for me. Space Dealer is really full of neat ideas!

--Kevin
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tejmo wrote:
Just played this game at a convention in Germany. Learned from the publisher.

Quote:
When filling demand at the neutral planets the rules say that you replace the filled demand card with a new face up demand card. Does this allow a player who is lucky and has the right cubes for the new card to simply claim it as well? What if the player then has the capacity to claim a third card? Does the player claim that one as well?


That is all correct. You can keep right on collecting the cards as long as you can fulfill them. Note that if two or more ships are sitting at the planet and more than one can fulfill the replacement card, you must bury at the bottom of the stack and redraw.


Are you sure about this? I'm reading the English rules, page 14:

Quote:
The available demand cards can be satisfied following the normal rules. In this case, the player takes the card, puts them face down in front of him and updates the victory point bar. After that, he draws a card from the demand pile and puts it face-up to the planet that has become available. If several players who may be able to satisfy the new demand are at this neutral planet at the moment, the demand card is laid under the pile, and another card is drawn.


That seems contrary to what you're saying. It also seems potentially problematic, if somebody has a huge payload there that could satisfy just about any demand -- you'd burn a bunch of cards. What am I missing?

Thanks,

-Dave
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.