Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm working on a logo (non-final) and I'm split between two directions. Please note that these are textureless early base samples and do not represent the final logo's appearance.

This is what they currently look like:

Here is some context:

Spoiler (click to reveal)

It is a word game about grade-school kids who dress up as adventurers.

Please vote and let me know!
Poll
Which do you prefer?
A
B
      48 answers
Poll created by Horror Leader

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Thyssen
Canada
Sparta
ON
flag msg tools
adamthyssen.com
badge
adamthyssen.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Feedback on logo
I prefer the typeface in the second example. The part that bothers me though is the orange gem... It looks like it was just plopped there.

Is it supposed to be part of the logo? If so, perhaps think about integrating it between the words?

edit; quick and dirty version to clarify what I'm trying to describe:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith McNeil
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like the Title font should be special/different than the font used on the cards. In Example A the font looks the same as the letters that spell out ZARAH on the cards below. One of the reasons I prefer B is the Title font looks special/different than the ZARAH font.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Topher
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I preferred the second example at first look, and even more so after reading more about the game. I wish it was a little more legible, but it's definitely more fun than the first version and seems much more appropriate for the theme. (That box artwork is terrific, by the way).

I also agree with Adam that the gems could be positioned better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I don't like any... you have such beautiful cards on the box, why don't use something like that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SebasKO wrote:
Honestly, I don't like any... you have such beautiful cards on the box, why don't use something like that?

I've been asked this one a lot. Spelling out the entire title with cards for letters is much too big while reducing size defeats the purpose as all detail is lost.

It also doesn't pass the 2-color print test of logo branding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Tony

I don't like either, particularly. B is too hard to read while A fits the bill, but is a bit sterile.

What's the gem there for? It's just sitting on its own. Can't you enclose the lettering in a border and stick the gem on the top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback.

The gem is actually a d12 die. The kids treat them as gems that allow them to fight monsters.

I actually prefer A as well because I wanted simple and whimsy like an old leatherbound children's book, but B has been favored by a landslide here and on other forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Resting-Jeppesen
Denmark
Søborg
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

The gem is actually a d12 die. The kids treat them as gems that allow them to fight monsters.

I actually prefer A as well because I wanted simple and whimsy like an old leatherbound children's book, but B has been favored by a landslide here and on other forums.

I voted B but I agree with what you write, however I don't think that A is "simple and whimsy" Neither is it being treated like an old children's book. The "G" and the "C" are weird and look handdrawn while the other letters don't, the kerning between C and A is off and the shadow on the letters does not fit with the old children's book theme.

Below are some images I think fit your description

sounds like a cool game by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second logo is a bit too "Harry Potter"; it makes it look like a game trying to skirt around licensing.

But I love the suggestions here of going for a leatherbound tome route, and the idea of the d12 being magical gems is fantastic - I'd love to see that played up even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the cardback used in playtesting:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say I also lean towards the option B. It's less generic and so makes a more memorable logo in my opinion.

Adam Thyssen's mockup with the rune in the middle is more balanced in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Liuhuparta wrote:
Adam Thyssen's mockup with the rune in the middle is more balanced in my opinion.

This, absolutely.

I have to ask: do you NOT have a graphic designer to do this sort of thing for you? It's really the province of a professional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Resting-Jeppesen
Denmark
Søborg
Danmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liuhuparta wrote:
I must say I also lean towards the option B. It's less generic and so makes a more memorable logo in my opinion.

I agree that option B contains more flavor. But I love when Im able to judge a book by it's cover. And the theme of the cover should reflect the theme of the game, so the balance should be set after how the game plays and is otherwise designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
District31 wrote:
Liuhuparta wrote:

This, absolutely.

I have to ask: do you NOT have a graphic designer to do this sort of thing for you? It's really the province of a professional.

I am a professional graphic designer cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik R.
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
SebasKO wrote:

I've been asked this one a lot. Spelling out the entire title with cards for letters is much too big while reducing size defeats the purpose as all detail is lost.

What if you only spelled out the "Spell" part?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hawkins
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karkador wrote:
Horror Leader wrote:
SebasKO wrote:

What if you only spelled out the "Spell" part?

Thematic and clever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the first new version with the rune in the middle. Only thing lacking is some additional feel in a form of texture or something. It just looks like it would need some additional love.

If you decide to go with the Spell word with cards, you should put it below the word Magical. It's really unbalanced the way you did it above. In that case the word Macigal needs a bit tuning with its arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DJ Wilde
United States
Monroe
LA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the one with the rune in the middle and all matching lettering. I love the artwork by the way. This looks very nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
All feedback is good. I think there are some good ideas here, but I can really see a fabulous logo somewhere among these responses

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob S
msg tools
mb
Don't be afraid to do more with the logo: a texture, a stroke, a gradient. It could do wonders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.