Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Does anyone out there know anywhere that you can still purchase gaming counter magnets? If you do or if you have some that you would be willing to sell or trade, please contact me.

Thanks, Bruce

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Sykes
Thailand
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about magnets made specificaly for gaming counters, but I have managed to get ordinary packs of magnets in all shapes and sizes which I have then adapted for gaming counters. My source has always been eBay.

I have a large magnetic noticeboard in my games room which has 6 diplomacy maps on it. I bought some small round magnets, designed some stickers representing the armies, navies and supply centres for each of the powers, and now I can track all my diplomacy games easily. I've been considering this for some other games too, to allow me to keep wargames up overnight, etc. Started work on a magnetic copy of Oh my God, There Goes Tokyo!

The other thing worth looking for, particularly if these are wargame-style counters, is magnetic strip, which is long and flat. This can be found in a variety of thicknesses again on eBay or from historical ministure suppliers. Find the right thickness for your counters then just cut it with a pair of scissors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the problem with using a magnetic strip for wargame counters is that most counters used these days are double sided. You would need to make your own copies of the counters to do this. The counter magnets (which I do own) are really nice. The counters slide in the magnet and can be easily removed. I'm not sure if they are available anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Googling and I found this:

http://members.aol.com/hudsongame/aids.htm

No idea if they are in stock or anything about the sellet, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a problem with double sided counters also. If I was REALLY into a game (and it was still being produced) I spent the money and purchased a second set of counters and put all the back sides on seperate magnets. This can get costly mony and storage wise. I use 'counter sleds' for quite a bit of gaming now. Picked them up at a convention a few years ago and love them. http://www.rdoxx.us/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only bought their wooden bases (which I've been very happy with), but www.litkoaero.com has magnetic bases (under Miniature Basing Accessories) 1/2" and up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I might throw in my one fiftieth of a dollar.

I had several packs of the 1/2" version of those counter magnets. This was years ago and I don't know what happened to them. Otherwise, I would just give them to you. If I recall, it was ever only the one company that made them.

I didn't like them. Even if you were willing to slide out counters and flip them, doing so created A LOT of wear and tear on the counters themselves. Also, I noticed that if one leaves the counters inside the magnets for a good length of time--as is often the case with a lengthy wargame--the counters become marked. Also, a little bit of the top and bottom of the counter is always hidden. Depending on the particular counter design, this may or may not hide significant information.

I have been for years brooding over the ultimate magnetic vertical system. The best answer I have ever come up with is to remanufacture the counters as magnetic counters.

From my research, the right type of double-sided flexible magnetic sheet is not a problem. The main problem is the die cutting. I have yet to test one of those scrapbooking die cutting machines, like Ellison. They run into several hundreds of dollars. Another significant problem is the countersheet image. Scanning the original countersheets, I found, does not work well as the original die cutting is never quite square. That said, the quality of the countersheets in this regard varies from game to game.

With games like the new War in the Pacific at 9,000 counters and over 20 sq. ft. of map, I don't see how the game can be played except vertically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the assistance. I haven't had any luck with counter clips and may just wind up going the do it yourself route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.