Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dexterity [+] recommendations [+] [View All]
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have (and love) both Crokinole and Passe-Trappe. I'm wondering whether that means I should consider Sjoelbak (lured by that amazing photo!) and/or Zopp or whether there's enough disc-moving fun in our lives already.

FWIW, Pitchcar has not been a big hit, nor has Tumblin' Dice (although arguably neither has been given a fair chance yet). We have a huge dining room table that is used primarily for games, so playing space doesn't have to be a voting issue. But, of course, I'd prefer not to buy an expensive, hard-to-store game unless we're likely to really enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Can you buy a Sjoelbak in the US? If you can, get one. The game is fun if you're in the right mood and if you like dexterity games. I don't like dexterity games, but will make an exception for 'sjoelen'* when I'm with the right crowd.

note(*)
The game's name is 'sjoelen'. 'Sjoelen' is also a verb describing the activity of playing 'sjoelen'. 'Sjoelbak' is the name of largest game component. You slide the 'sjoelschijven' (discs) over the 'sjoelbak'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, there's a Dutch-American guy in Colorado who makes them. http://www.sjoelbakcrafter.com/about.htm

And thanks for giving me the proper name of the game! Maybe we can change it in the database here; I'll ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
'Sjoelen' is already included as an alternative name. We can keep it as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played, but it looks fun. I do know that we have someone in the UK who makes them (and other stuff too) though:

http://www.mastersgames.com/cat/table/sjoelbak.htm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I haven't played Sjoelbak, but I am a Zopp fanatic.

I think a big part of your decision is whether you would enjoy and thrive on the real-time dynamics of Sjoelbak. Zopp is more leisurely.

Zopp has the fun of the fast-moving surface, although you have to watch your speed because it is hard to aim properly (a lot harder than, say, billiards).

Zopp requires some investment to enjoy it. It is difficult to aim without a lot of practive. It's not something that you would expect someone to try once and enjoy (contrast with Pitchcar).

Zopp feels a lot like a sport because there is a lot in stratetically placing your pieces. And, of course, there is mental stamina required as in all good competitive games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
$200 for a bit of wood we pay about €20 for at our local Bart Smit (the dutch Toys'R'Us)... wowwowwow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, this is tough. Probably I should hold out for Air Hockey and/or Billiards. But I think that would mean holding out until we bought another house....

For what it's worth, I think that the reason we like both Crokinole and Passe-Trappe yet don't see them as duplicative is that both are quick, but one has turn-taking and the other doesn't. It's sounding to me like Sjoelen (which repays but doesn't require practice?) is probably more up our alley than Zopp, but both have their appeals. We tend to play in mixed-age groups and with lots of guests and that makes me nervous about Zopp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In case anyone is wondering, 'sjoelen' is pronounced as shoolen (with a short oo) and 'sjoelbak' as shoolbak (with a short oo and an a as in craft).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does a short "oo" sound like in English? Like "book" rather than "school"? Or vice versa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
smithhemb wrote:
Like "book" rather than "school".

Yes. Perhaps in this word even closer to the 'shoo'-sound you make when scaring away a cat when its in a place it shouldn't be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
smithhemb wrote:
Like "book" rather than "school".

Yes. Perhaps in this word even closer to the 'shoo'-sound you make when scaring away a cat when its in a place it shouldn't be.

According to my OED - School, Shoe and Shoo all have the same vowel sound. That is the same as the sound of the vowel in too.

Finally book rhymes with put in most English dialects but in some (you know who you are) it has a longer oo sound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
Finally book rhymes with put in most English dialects

Now I'm totally confused, LOL!!

But "shoo" works for me -- I didn't offer it as an example because I wasn't sure that it was a word non-native English speakers would know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I said rhyme I meant had the same vowel sound sorry. Bad day at work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the bad day. Just teasing and/or wondering how far we Yanks had drifted from the Queen's English....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Diemel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Also known as Dutch Shuffleboard, Sjoelen and Jakkolo. The sjoelbak is the name of the board, not the game.
For Sale at http://www.dutchgirltrading.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A side note, but does anyone play "table hockey" http://www.ithf.info/stiga/ithf/index.aspx in the US? Huge over here, or at least used to be before the age of console gaming. Still a good game though, strongly recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't ever seen that. Air Hockey is a popular arcade game and foosball is something people might buy for a game room at home, but that's as close as we get to table hockey, I think! Didn't even notice it when I was shopping for table tennis, though I was looking at lots of retailers that carried Stiga then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Table tennis is a sport, table hockey is a game (or at least I think it is). So I am not surprised you did not see the game when you were looking for table tennis. Great fun though! Search on wikipedia.org for table hockey for a better picture and more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.