Subject: MUST attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone!

The rulebook clearly states that if a player is able to execute the current action, he MUST do so. This brings me to the conclusion that If my only option to attack is from a province with 2 army to an enemy provine with, let's say 10 armies, I must do it even if it makes absolutely no sense and it's hurting my progress in the game! Is this an intended mechanic (so I should plan ahead carefully not to enforce such a situation on myself), or am I misinterpreting something here?
The same comes to mind when I rather wouldn't extract gold/rice from the population because it leads to immadiate revolt.
Do I still have to do these actions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having been taught by someone who read the rulebook and that I DID NOT read it, we always HAD to attack. However, when this kind of problem arose the person tended to attack with just the one guy. You never know, he may get stuck in the tower which could make him very useful later on.
It does mean you have to plan ahead and work out who's gonna be attacking you and where...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Sorbara
Italy
Venaria Reale
(TO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We intended the same. And we too, in those cases, attack with a single army to lessen losses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Orsó
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hm, just as I thought. Thank you all for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Petry
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Vetinari wrote:
Hi everyone!

The rulebook clearly states that if a player is able to execute the current action, he MUST do so. This brings me to the conclusion that If my only option to attack is from a province with 2 army to an enemy provine with, let's say 10 armies, I must do it even if it makes absolutely no sense and it's hurting my progress in the game! Is this an intended mechanic (so I should plan ahead carefully not to enforce such a situation on myself), or am I misinterpreting something here?
The same comes to mind when I rather wouldn't extract gold/rice from the population because it leads to immadiate revolt.
Do I still have to do these actions?

Absolutely, yes on both these points.

The game is designed to reward good planning, and punish those who plan badly. If you could simply cancel any action you liked during the action execution phase, it would eliminate this from the game.

As noted above, you can sometimes mitigate your strategic errors through good tactical play -- If you had planned an attack on a country that got reinforced before the attack occurs (sometimes a risk), you can minimize or eliminate your losses by either:

(a) attacking the country with a single army, or

(b) using the action to move one or more armies into an adjacent, friendly country.

As for gold/rice taxation -- you should know in the planning phase whether or not you are likely to survive a revolt in the country, and can plan accordingly. It is possible (although rare) that a taxed country may be attacked before the taxation occurs, leaving you with a weakened defensive force. However, a good player will plan for that possibility by taxing only relatively "safe" countries, and also by not repeatedly taxing the same country.

The high importance of the taxation actions, and the really crippling consequences of losing a country before you receive the tax means that you must be very careful and defensive when planning for these particular actions. In any case, remember that you will receive the tax from a country even if you do lose it to a peasant revolt, so peasant revolts aren't nearly as dangerous as invasion. If you are habitually taxing countries that are in danger of being attacked, then you're probably playing badly. Instead, try to tax your lightly-defended countries in seasons where the action order shows that taxation will occur before movement.

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could move into an empty adjacent region. Think of the attack actions as general move actions. You have to move something, but you can move it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving into an adjacent empty reason is still an attack against a neutral territory and requiring a fight against the local farmers.

This is still preferable to ticking off the 10-army horde, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.