Subject: Hero's move using chits 1-6 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will be playing this over vacation at a lake-house (nice venue - hope we have a rainy night). I hope to try a move variant and wonder if anyone else has tried this. Checking forums I haven't seen it.

Was thinking - if each hero had chits numbered 1-6, they could choose their movement. When #1 is used they get an event. If the hero has an ability related to movement it is added to the chosen chit. Hoping this will add some decision/control to movement rather than dice. Obviously, after 6th turn all chits come back and are available.

Will follow up as I hope to try this this weekend - wonder if anyone else has tried something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hatfield
United States
Helena
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done anything like that, but I think it could work. A question, though, would you say that you can't use the number you chose until you've gone through the entire range of 1-6? So if you used the 2, you can't use it again until you used all of the other numbers?

I created a system the lets characters move in four levels: Cautiously, Normally, Hurriedly, and Recklessly.

When moving cautiously, they move half of their "base" movement (a value each character now has in my game), but they receive 1 Investigation by moving this way. It's assumed they're spending time looking for subtle clues and noticing things that others might miss.

Normally is just their base speed. No bonuses and no harm.

Hurriedly is double their base speed. It's the "Hurry, we mustn't delay!". The only negative suffered is that if the character decides to pick up any Investigation on the board, they can only pick up a maximum of 1 that turn. Essentially, in their haste, they miss some of the more basic clues and evidence of evil.

And for those who travel Recklessly, they move double their base speed +2 (for some, that could be 8 spaces!), but since they are so reckless, they blunder into danger without realizing the true consequences of their actions. Thus, a character who moves Recklessly suffers a -1 to all dice that are rolled that turn while resolving things on the board (combat, finding things, etc.) This penalty goes away during the Mystery Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Phil,

I saw your variant and like the idea. May wind up using it.

To answer your question - yes once a chit is used for movement it is not available for selection again until all 6 chits have been used - then all come back.

Was thinking maybe for 3 investigation can bring back a chit and when 'Murder' mystery card comes up - bring back a chit (modeling heroes increased urgency).

Anyway - - will post results after some plays this weekend.

Note - I also intend to have elders at random locations at beginning of game to give heroes incentive to move about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the box in front of me, but I think Flying Frog's Conquest of Planet Earth has six tokens for each player: D6, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. In Conquest they are used for initiative, but here you can use them for movement. You can always use and reuse the D6 token to roll for movement. Alternatively, you can discard a numerical token to move up to that many spaces. Once you are just down to the D6 token, all your other tokens are replenished.

This system may not work well with some of the other cards that activate based on your roll for movement.

Still, there are perfectly good tokens in another Flying Frog game.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Actually, I found that the stone statues (something wicked) have #'s 1-6 on their back side.

I put a short summary of a session under the variant thread 'Elders at random locations...'

I've used elders at random locations and used movement chits 3 times this weekend (banshee twice and bog fiend once) and so far so good. I really like having to go where elder is located then chase them to another location where I can investigate them. It really gives the early and mid game more focus.

So far I haven't found anything to be broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that would break anything, and it sounds like a good way to tone down the randomness while still keeping things unpredictable (except for that final draw of course, where you'd know exactly what your movement for that turn was going to be).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sorry for late response. Actually all chits are face up so heros decide move from what's available. We play coop so all heroes get same movement and this can lead to some decisions as to which chit to use and who goes where.

I've added a random chit too representing the option to roll a dice that turn. If chosen heroes each get an event as when they chose to move 1.

What really works though is putting elder tokens at random locations at set up. Each has a secret (coast elders get two) and a hidden lair card with the secrets. After heroes go to an elder, the elder token moves to the new location where they can be investigated. Once investigated the elder joins the hero (unless they are evil) using the elders special ability and any secret ability unless it says in a showdown only.

All elders must be investigated then a lair card is drawn where the showdown occurs. The final lair location must be reached by a hero before shadowtrack reaches zero.

2 heroes co-op works with just the base game elders but I find We need a 3 hero team if I use all elders. This has really made the elders part of the game and gives purpose to the heroes throughout the game.

Really liking this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.