Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a new mode coming. Full article here but it looks like different challenge modes on a weekly basis - using preset decks, having to build unusual decks etc.

I haven't played Hearthstone in a while but I think I'd come back to give this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely looking forward to this. I play HS pretty much every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played for a while and now I'm scared everyone has loads of super cards I've never seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
I haven't played for a while and now I'm scared everyone has loads of super cards I've never seen before.

When did you stop playing, during base game, after naxx, during GvG?

BRM has a few solid cards, but you can get all of them easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
Cricky wrote:

When did you stop playing, during base game, after naxx, during GvG?

BRM has a few solid cards, but you can get all of them easy.

I was playing a lot when it first came out and I think I came back a bit for Naxx. I had a lot of friends who were also playing at the time and that's always a good incentive.

I'll have to give it another go soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You will still be alright with Naxx and base set cards. There are some cool things in GvG though too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game has only gotten better with the expansions.Ah, so much stuff.

I'm really looking forward to the Brawl event. It's free, with custom decks and special rules. Looks to be great.

Hopefully, tournament mode and extra deck slots are not far behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magmaxtic wrote:

I'm really looking forward to the Brawl event. It's free, with custom decks and special rules. Looks to be great.

FYI Ben Brode confirmed they are working on adding deck slots, didnt indicate how long until we get them though.

Fortunately the Tavern Brawl uses its own deck slot so no need to delete your current decks to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
magmaxtic wrote:

FYI Ben Brode confirmed they are working on adding deck slots, didnt indicate how long until we get them though.

Fortunately the Tavern Brawl uses its own deck slot so no need to delete your current decks to play it.

That is one thing I hate about Adventure mode is having to delete one of my ladder decks to make some random weird thing to beat a heroic boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the first brawl is still going and.. such a let down. Pre-made overpowered decks. Meh!

This was not the thing casual players wanted. Hopefully future brawls allow for deck construction, otherwise this is going to be a pretty forgettable play mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Was looking forward to giving this a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed the first brawl and am looking forward to the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really liked Hearthstone a while back but once I fully understand and got more into SolForge, I lost interest in Hearthstone quite a bit. It just feels way too limited and simple now, sadly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henkka wrote:
So, the first brawl is still going and.. such a let down. Pre-made overpowered decks. Meh!

This was not the thing casual players wanted. ...

Speak for yourself, I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a lot of variance in the match, so it's quite fun. There are many interesting interactions between the different minions and cards, and Nefarian has one of the funnest hero powers.

I thought Nefarian was overpowered at first, but he isn't. It's a fairly balanced match, and Ragnaros is excellent, since his hero power allows you to get card advantage early on-Magma Ragers trade equally with most things Nefarian can summon.

As Ragnaros you shouldn't really care about taking
massive damage, since he has quite a few cards that can turn the tables.
Ragnaros has better minions, in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
Henkka wrote:

This was not the thing casual players wanted. ...

Speak for yourself, I like it.

Well, glad that you liked it. Out of curiosity, how many Brawls did you do? I got bored after 10, which is just lame imho.

But I can understand why Blizzard chose this type Brawl as the first one as you basically don't need to own any cards to play this. So, I expect, many new(ish) players (or those without reasonable collection) will like this one. But I really hope that they up the re-playability of the Brawls with some deck building aspect in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What does everyone think of the new brawl. Took me a few tries, but I got a win with flamewaker.

One opponent I faced was doing a fatigue rogue type thing. I might give that a shot next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
What does everyone think of the new brawl. Took me a few tries, but I got a win with flamewaker.

One opponent I faced was doing a fatigue rogue type thing. I might give that a shot next.

Sounds like banana brawl has...

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Appeal.

http://youtu.be/6YMPAH67f4o
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish people just built random decks(simply click done, and it will compile a deck for you; it has a good curve).

Since there's no incentive to progress somewhere, I don't see any reason to go constructed here; just have fun with wacky decks, using whatever cards you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:

I went the same route. Mana Wyrm and Flamewalker, spellbased Mage deck to take advantage of the bananas. Took me one try, and I probably won't play this one again. The brawl is fun, but they really need to give you a reason to play more than a few times. Some reward at ten wins or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

I went the same route. Mana Wyrm and Flamewalker, spellbased Mage deck to take advantage of the bananas. Took me one try, and I probably won't play this one again. The brawl is fun, but they really need to give you a reason to play more than a few times. Some reward at ten wins or something like that.

It has the same incentive as Casual mode. Actually, now that I say it, Brawl has MORE incentive than Casual mode because it has the same rewards as Casual plus a bonus pack the first time you win (at least for now, that pack might just be for the first few events.) So there is as much reason to play Brawl as there is Casual, and since there are plenty of people who play Casual over Ranked I don't foresee an issue with Brawl not getting enough players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
dugman wrote:
JockiB wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

It has the same incentive as Casual mode. Actually, now that I say it, Brawl has MORE incentive than Casual mode because it has the same rewards as Casual plus a bonus pack the first time you win (at least for now, that pack might just be for the first few events.) So there is as much reason to play Brawl as there is Casual, and since there are plenty of people who play Casual over Ranked I don't foresee an issue with Brawl not getting enough players.

One big difference is that it's easier to finish your daily quests in Casual than in Brawl, because you can always choose an appropriate deck. I've often played Casual instead of Ranked to finish quests for classes I don't have good decks in. So I'm not really seeing why I should play Brawl instead of Casual (apart from the occasional novelty decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I am fine with it being something that I just play a few times a week.

Eventually random decks might be a thing, and that would be fun for a few games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
dugman wrote:
JockiB wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:

One big difference is that it's easier to finish your daily quests in Casual than in Brawl, because you can always choose an appropriate deck. I've often played Casual instead of Ranked to finish quests for classes I don't have good decks in. So I'm not really seeing why I should play Brawl instead of Casual (apart from the occasional novelty decks).

Fair point. If you can do a daily quest in either Brawl or Casual and you already got your free Brawl pack then there you would play whichever one you think is more fun. If the Brawl happens to be one that doesn't fit a quest then you might play Casual that day instead to do the quest.

On a side note sometimes Brawl is better for certain quests than Casual. For instance, last week's Nefarian vs Ragnaros brawl was great for completing the "deal 100 damage to enemy heroes" quest since both heroes could take sixty damage before dying and both had high damage minions. It was actually easier to do that in Brawl than Casual that week. Similarly this week's Banana Brawl is probably good for the Cast X Spells quest since the bananas are all one mana spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Good point. I've enjoyed these first two Brawls, so I guess my main complaint is that I've enjoyed them less than expected. It's a good idea, and perhaps more geared towards the casual player (which is great). While I'm a free-to-play player I still mostly enjoy playing Ranked with as good decks as I possibly can make, trying to someday hit that Legendary rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.