David Hendriksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi !!

Has anybody tried to correct bent figs. by submersing them in hot water, bend them into place and then submerse them into cold water, like the proceedure given by Days of Wonders for the BattleLore figs.?

My guess would be that it would work without any degradation to the figs. but would appreciate other people's experience/comments? I have a rather badly bent Imp. Star Destroyer, bent even though the plastic is thick.

Or have people tried the 'hot blower approach' ?

Thx!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Chamberlain
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hot water trick worked for the Class 4 ships (fighters) because they are softer plastic.

For me it did not work on the larger ships since the plastic was considerable harder.

Anyone got any tips?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to work well for any ship for the thin parts, but has also allowed be to correct the front droop of two Venator Cruisers I have had, if immersed a little longer and bent a little harder. Thses minis do sem difficult to damage, thankfully.

Just need some better rules for them now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
How long do you submerge themn under the hot water? I have an Imperial SD that is a bit twisted as well as some fighters. Do you you let them sit a bit?

thanks,
Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Adey
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only about 5 seconds, in water out of a kettle that`s just too hot to keep your fingers in for 1 second! The model and paint do not damage in any way. They ought to make cars out of this stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
You know it's in the hot water too long if a tiny voice comes out of the Millenium Falcon saying "they didn't even ask any questions".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
You know it's in the hot water too long if a tiny voice comes out of the Millenium Falcon saying "they didn't even ask any questions".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thiel
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For this and other plastic toys with warping issues, I use an embossing tool left over from my wife's brief dalliance with scrapbooking. It's a heat blower, and I find that it works well so long as you avoid getting it too close (or leaving your fingers in the line of fire for long).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Hanley
Scotland
Glasgow
Strathclyde
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use boiling water for better effect. Just boil the kettle, pour into a cup and then hot dip, bend and hold under a cold water tap to reset.

Results have been good and no 'paint' has been affected. However don't try it with the SSD's: THEY ARE HOLLOW and fill with water. I had to blow the water out and leave them for a day to redry.

The hollow plastic must be why they warp so badly compared to the other mini's.

One final thing, although this process really makes a HUGE difference, some of the class 2 models do eventually bend a little again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.