Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There you are, happily playing your new game, when someone draws a card and says "Hey, what does this mean?" Maybe the card has a big in the top right corner that the other cards you've seen so far don't have. Nobody can remember what it means.

What do you do?

Poll
What do you do when you don't know the rules for a game element?
Stop and look it up in the rulebook.
Completely ignore it for now, like it wasn't even there, and look it up after the game.
Completely ignore it and don't bother looking it up, ever. Must not be important.
Just make up your own rule for it for now and look it up after the game.
Just make up your own rule for it and don't look it up, ever.
      210 answers
Poll created by StormKnight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marion
msg tools
Just do it !
badge
Enjoy Life!
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way is to ask in the rules forum of the game.
Usually within 10 minutes, while taking a break with a drink or whatever, a fellow geek will answer.

edit:
That is if the rulebook is not clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Strobel
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stop and look it up in the rulebook. Our first game of 7 Wonders took a really long time. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sig
United States
wesley chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get super frustrated and grumbily about yet another symbol and try to look it up online on your tiny phonescreen without using your rulebook because you think it will be faster. Everyone eventually takes a smoke break while you stubbornly google and try to remember your BGG pw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most probably look it up straight away. Possibly ignore it and look it up afterwards. It would depend on:
a) The game mechanics - is it likely that it can be safely ignored (e.g. in Race for the Galaxy you could safely ignore a card you don't understand and use it to pay for a card you do understand). If we think the might mean "do something now" then we would look it up.
b) How log do we have and how much do the other players care about finishing the game vs learning the rules now.
c) How easy it is to find stuff in the rules.
d) How bothered by understanding the card the person who drew it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Might be the most one-sided poll in the history of BGG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:

Looking like it.

This is interesting, since I've had and seen quite a few discussions that indicate the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
piemasteruk wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure I've ever seen a poll with 100% of the answers (at my time of posting 73) all on the same selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to invent a new rule on the fly.

Oh, a star at the top right? That means that the card has to be discarded whenever... the turn order changes. Yup. Oh, yeah, you should have gotten rid of that card when I took start player. Sorry buddy, better luck next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Boucher
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, you're a long time member of this community, and one I genuinely respect.

My guess is that this community is skewed towards veteran gamers who are no strangers to sizable rulebooks.

Ignoring rules or not bothering to consult a rulebook sounds more like something a casual (or non) gamer would do while playing Risk on a Saturday afternoon (for instance)

I can't for the life of me understand your motivation for this poll.

Again, absolutely no disrespect intended.
Garth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Put the game away and play something else wasn't an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garthasl wrote:

Several things that have me wondering about it:

* A few play experiences where the person teaching the game simply disregarded game elements that they weren't sure of.

* Castle Ravenloft was the first major place I saw this, where comments were made that people who tried to look up rules for unexplained icons/pieces were an indication of the "dumbing down" of the hobby.

* Myth discussions in which people stated that trying to look up a rule rather than just making up your own rule indicated a lack of imagination.

* A few forum threads lately indicating that looking up unknown rules at all was rules-lawyering and that people shouldn't play like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Put the game away and play something else wasn't an option.

Heh. No, it wasn't. I wonder if anyone does that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You left out "open a thread on BGG".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Etiquette demands that the person triggering the issue must either pause play while they RTFM, or they must permanently destroy the offending item (e.g. by smoking it with their preferred herbal preparation). Opting for the latter often encourages the owner of the game to intervene and RTFM.

(...and if RTFM fails to solve it, consult BGG and the rest of the interweb and/or play something else)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Black
United Kingdom
Scarborough
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
If it's a brand new game - look it up absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Close one.

Pete (wonders which poll option will "win")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really do dislike extensive use of icons without text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Przemyslaw Kozlowski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
StormKnight wrote:
garthasl wrote:

Several things that have me wondering about it:

* A few play experiences where the person teaching the game simply disregarded game elements that they weren't sure of.

* Castle Ravenloft was the first major place I saw this, where comments were made that people who tried to look up rules for unexplained icons/pieces were an indication of the "dumbing down" of the hobby.

* Myth discussions in which people stated that trying to look up a rule rather than just making up your own rule indicated a lack of imagination.

* A few forum threads lately indicating that looking up unknown rules at all was rules-lawyering and that people shouldn't play like that.

Personally, people with that kind of mindset scare me. I can see disregarding a rule or symbol that you do not think is necessary in the game but not even trying to find what it means boggles my mind. Of course, I am an engineer by training and in my profession, ignoring symbols and notations you do not understand gets people killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll always attempt to look something up in the rules.

But if several people have tried looking unsuccessfully, and the game is getting held up, we might ignore it, and look it up after the game instead. Particularly if we're still new at the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.