3 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Minor Shop Rule Change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am curious if people see any problem with this minor change. I am starting my third campaign and now have all the box expansions. I realized that this means there are a ton of shop items (AWESOME!), but that if 5 a drawn after each quest very few will be seen. What are some minor adjustments to correct this (without unbalancing the game)? The most basic is to not shuffle the cards back in so that you slightly deplete the deck and never get repeats. Other thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could instead do a drafting system? Still only having 5 cards, but having a little control over what they are.

Either a simple draw 10 keep 5 (which would be a little too helpful I think), or something more complex. Maybe you draw the cards one at a time, but have 5 free passes. So you can discard any 5 cards you draw, but once out of passes, you have to add cards to the shop (so drawing a maximum of 10 cards). You could even perhaps allow spending in order to discard extra cards (although balancing that value would be harder).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Act 1, I don't really think any change is required since the heroes eventually have an opportunity to see everything after the interlude anyway.

Act 2 (while I still prefer the luck based shopping) could be modified such that you draw either:

-more cards per hero (perhaps 2.) This allows for the heroes to see more, but because they still have the same amount of gold they won't be able to buy more.

-separate the cards into categories (melee weapons, ranged weapons, armor, trinkets) and draw 1 from each pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.