Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiffany Leigh
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone with familiarity of both games have a preference for one over the other? And is there overlap in gameplay at all?

Researching birthday presents for a friend and am interested in the journalistic theme, however abstract.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have reviewed Penny Press, and looked over the rules of Extra Extra, and they do look like quite different games. I should be receiving a copy of Extra Extra next week, so in the coming weeks I should have a better idea of the differences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm biased, because I'm the designer of EE. But you might want to look at the comments on EE. There is one person who has played both...

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/items/boardgame/128011?...

Why not get both?whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
geocentrix wrote:

Why not get both?whistle
Because Board Game Death Match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played both, but each only once, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

They probably never would have been compared to each other if it wasn't for their unusual theme. Penny Press is a quick and dirty area majority game. Extra! Extra! is a full-on, all the bells and whistles, worker placement game.

There is a little bit of overlap in that you build front pages out of different sized articles in both games. But in both games, this puzzle aspect is pretty minor and the games are really about how to get those articles.

They also both have a mean streak and probably need the right kind of competitive players to really shine, though I think Extra! Extra is more robust to non-confrontational playing groups.

Choose PP if:
- you want a quick game
- that is easily explained
- with a lot of theme in the historical headlines
- you have a confrontational playing group

Choose EE if:
- you like a longer game (though there are shorter scenarios)
- with a lot of different moving parts
- with a lot of theme on how a newspaper is put together
- you play mostly Euro games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THANKS!!!! After having watched the Dice Tower preview video on Extra Extra, I guessed some of those elements. I see that the games are quite different although they share the worker placement and story collection elements.

Thanks again - this will help me a lot in my purchasing decisions, and in talking to my game group about which one to get.

Montebanc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing both and reviewed penny press and reviewing extra extra soon, other than the theme and putting stories on a paper the rest of the game is very different from each other. Penny press isn't worker placement but area control. Extra extra is worker placement with set collection of cards. I'll be pointing the differences in my review as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C├ęsar Mendes
Portugal
Santarem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkingnu wrote:
After playing both and reviewed penny press and reviewing extra extra soon, other than the theme and putting stories on a paper the rest of the game is very different from each other. Penny press isn't worker placement but area control. Extra extra is worker placement with set collection of cards. I'll be pointing the differences in my review as well.

Great Dan! I've been waiting for a video review of Extra! Extra! (EE) for some time.

Liked the theme but Penny Press wasn't my thing. I believe EE is since ithas mechanics that I enjoy more.

Can't wait to see your review. Thanks for your fantastic work.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls